Intelliflo XF - Too Much Pump?

Jun 9, 2013
I have a 30k gallon pool, and the current single speed motor is loud enough to need hearing protection nearby (and hinders conversation on the deck 150' away). In my defense, this came with the house when we bought it. It's definitely time to upgrade, and it looks like the Intelliflo XF is the latest and greatest. Is my pride getting in the way by some opinions I've read that this is "too much pump" for a lot of pools?

My needs are fairly basic - I have a spa, but it has a booster (also very loud). I have 2" piping all around. If I upgrade the pipes to 2.5" or even 3", would it be enough to do so at the pad since that's where all the elbows and valves are? Are there other newly designed pumps that may be more suitable?

Welcome to TFP!

There is no reason to get the XF unless you need extremely high flow rates. For more ordinary needs the regular IntelliFlo is more appropriate. The Hayward EcoStar is very similar and slightly more efficient. If you have an automation system there are large advantages to matching the brand of the automation system and the variable speed pump.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.