Next Step?

nthoms

Jul 13, 2012
Colchester, CT
I have a 22,500 gallon, vinyl lined, cartridge, salt water pool.

The water looks good.

FC: 5.0
CC: 0.2
TC: 5.2
PH: 7.2
TA: 70
CH: 70
CYA: 60
SALT: 2600
TEMP: 75

Any advice on my next steps ... I am concerned about the PH being low (7.2).

I have stamped concrete surrounding the entire pool ... should I also be concerned about the Calcium Hardness (70) being low?

The next step is to turn on the heater. 75 is too cold to swim in!

Those readings are great! The SWG will probably drive the pH up a bit. There's no point raising pH today only to have to lower it again in three days. You don't need Calcium for the vinyl pool, and I wouldn't worry about the deck. Rainwater has no Calcium, and it hasn't dissolved it yet, has it?

How old is the system? is there a heater? I can see your question about the cement - it goes right to the edge? no coping?

You can hold off on the PH for a few weeks and see if the PH drifts up on its own from the SWG, or maybe bump it to 7.4 with Borax.

What is the recommended level for your salt system? 2600 seems a bit low.

- - - Updated - - -

Good points Richard!

Your calcium hardness is fine in a vinyl lined pool. That SWG will most likely tend to make your Ph rise due to turbulence in the cell. CYA might be a tad low.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the information :goodjob:

The next step is to turn on the heater. 75 is too cold to swim in!

I have an Electric HeatPump ... can I run an extension cord to your house ? :D

Those readings are great! The SWG will probably drive the pH up a bit. There's no point raising pH today only to have to lower it again in three days. You don't need Calcium for the vinyl pool, and I wouldn't worry about the deck. Rainwater has no Calcium, and it hasn't dissolved it yet, has it?

Nope ... the deck looks great! I just need to put on a coat of sealer as its been a few years. Any advice on cement sealers???

How old is the system?

--7 years old.

Is there a heater?

--Yes (HeatPump).

I can see your question about the cement - it goes right to the edge? no coping?

--There is coping around the edge.

You can hold off on the PH for a few weeks and see if the PH drifts up on its own from the SWG, or maybe bump it to 7.4 with Borax.

--OK. sounds like a good plan.

What is the recommended level for your salt system? 2600 seems a bit low.

--3400 is the recommended level ... I worry about so much salt around the cement so I tended to keep it low. Am I wrong with my assumption?

The water still looks great.

However ... my PH is dropping. It was 7.2, now it's barely reading 7.0

FC: 5.0
CC: 0.2
TC: 5.2
PH: 7.0
TA: 70
CH: 60
CYA: 45
SALT: 2900
TEMP: 82
SATURATION: -1.37

Any advice on my next steps ... I am concerned about the PH being below (7.0). Should I be?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.