Backwash frequency?

BIC

Jul 7, 2007
Hi everyone,

This is my second summer with my 24 feet AG pool. I have read here (and at many other places) that I should do a backwash when the pressure (indicated on the sand filter gauge) is 6 to 8 psi above 'normal' -- with 'normal being the pressure shortly after a backwash/rinse.

So, I decided to let the pressure going up and see how long it would take to let it go up 4 or 5 PSI. It has been 3 weeks and my pressure is still the same: the gauge has been indicating 16 for the last 3 weeks. Can it be that long? Should I backwash anyway or keep waiting until it gets to 21 PSI?

BIC

You are probably fine. I go a month or more in normal conditions. As long as you have good strong flow into the pool it's fine to operate with the filter a little dirty. It actually performs better.

I usually backwash when the water is too high on the skimmer because my fill water has TA issues. Typically the only time my pressure goes up is after a lot of wind and vacuuming.

I have never understood the recommendation myself. My pressure gauge stays consistent on the various settings: 3 on low 12 on high, 15 on bottom drain/high.... My cartridge filter hadn't been cleaned since the end of May, so I KNEW it had to be filthy, as the heater was being tempermental, which usually is a sign of a dirty filter. Pressure gauge didn't fluctuate tho. So I cleaned the filter yesterday anyway, it was downright icky.

I don't think its the gauge per se, it's always been this way for 7 years now.

One thing I did notice was a greatly improved flow from the return. Gauge still at 3!

Thanks for the responses everyone.

I thought that 3 weeks was way to long between each backwash, I do realize now that it is not bad to wait that long. I just did my backwash and it did improve a bit the flow from the return

BIC

I'm glad this topic is up. My pressure gauge came out of storage broken this year. This is our 3rd year with our pool. Since my pressure never rose more than 2psi the entire summer last year, I was wondering if I could go without it and just backwash when I felt the return get a little low.

ShelleyN, that's what I do. Our sand filter's guage was messed up this spring so we replaced it and the stupid thing still never goes up. Stays at 10 when no solar and 11.5 with it. Often after vacuuming, the return will have low pressure(guage still the same) so I backwash and the return pressure goes back up.

HTH,
Adam

Shelley N said:
I'm glad this topic is up. My pressure gauge came out of storage broken this year. This is our 3rd year with our pool. Since my pressure never rose more than 2psi the entire summer last year, I was wondering if I could go without it and just backwash when I felt the return get a little low.

You can buy a new gauge for $4 at a farm store, and it's pretty important for knowing what is going on with your system.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.