Interested in Purchasing a Stenner - Need Sizing Advice

mb

Nov 20, 2012
Welcome to TFP! :wave:I started a new Thread for your post. Please start a new Thread whenever you have a question or new topic as opposed to posting your question on someone else's Thread (we call that practice "hijacking"). Plus, posting your question in a new Thread is more likely to get responses. --BoDarville, TFP Moderator

Hello TFP friends,
New member here. Interested in stenner chlorine injection.
15k gallons, plaster pool, pump runs 24/7.
Should I purchase the 3, 5 or 10 gpd pump and 15 gallon storage tank for my use?
Thank you all!

Hello TFP friends,
New member here. Interested in stenner chlorine injection.
15k gallons, plaster pool, pump runs 24/7.
Should I purchase the 3, 5 or 10 gpd pump and 15 gallon storage tank for my use?
Thank you all!

I understand your challenge. There's a ton of information here, but it's not easily consumable for us new people :).

This post clarified the big picture for stenner pumps for me:
http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/34622-Choosing-Stenner-pump?p=290252&viewfull=1#post290252
Biggest variable for me was how to control the stenner. If it's on its own timer that works- you have plenty of options. As long as the pool pump is running you adjust the stenner pump time to control the dosing. If the stenner is on whenever the pool pump is running then you have to adjust the chlorine dosing by how long you run your pool pump. No big deal either way.

I just bought this stenner pump: http://www.poolsupplyunlimited.com/...2A2S/39137p1?gclid=CJTu7_veur4CFW4R7AodUgIAIQ

It's variable which will give me options when I downsize my 35,000 gallon pool to about 15-18,000 gallons this fall. I think the variable speed is a little more expensive but it gives you options for control which is nice. I need the flexibility for my situation.

With a 15k gallon pool, if you plan on running it 24 hours per day with the main pump, the 3 gpd adjustable pump will be more than big enough. I have a 13,000 gallon pool and run my pump 8 hours a day and have a 3 gpd Stenner and it runs on about 3 dial setting.

There have been people that bought a large Stenner pump and run it just a few minutes a day and that's fine if that's what you want to do.

With a 15k gallon pool, if you plan on running it 24 hours per day with the main pump, the 3 gpd adjustable pump will be more than big enough. I have a 13,000 gallon pool and run my pump 8 hours a day and have a 3 gpd Stenner and it runs on about 3 dial setting.

There have been people that bought a large Stenner pump and run it just a few minutes a day and that's fine if that's what you want to do.

In your opinion, Do you think the larger stenner pump may wear longer since it may only need to run a few min a day?

In your opinion, Do you think the larger stenner pump may wear longer since it may only need to run a few min a day?
You need to be careful. Decades ago when I worked at a scout camp with a pool, we installed a pump. It was too big. Even dialed way back, it injected too much, which meant whenever we added bleachto the tank, we had to dilute it.

This is exactly what I do. I use a 85MHP17 pump that has an adjustable head. My adjustment is set wide open at #10 and it will dose 1.75 ounces per minute of 12.5% chlorine (HASA). It is wired into my EasyTouch 8 and is programmed to run 30 minutes after the pump starts up, will ramp my pump up to 100 GPM while injecting, then returns my pump to 70 GPM to disperse the chlorine throughout the pool. With this setup and my pool, the Stenner will run between 2 minutes to as much as 17 minutes per day depending on the season. I much prefer this, than having a pump run for hours on end. Much less wear and tear.

My stenner is overkill for my pool... I have the 10gpd... But I plan to dump all my chlorine all at once, and it runs on its own separate digital timer, so I can run it as little as one minute if I want to... :)

I bought mine on ebay brand new for $120 delivered... I really couldn't leave it there..... :) My pool is only 4500 gallons... :)

This is exactly what I do. I use a 85MHP17 pump that has an adjustable head. My adjustment is set wide open at #10 and it will dose 1.75 ounces per minute of 12.5% chlorine (HASA). It is wired into my EasyTouch 8 and is programmed to run 30 minutes after the pump starts up, will ramp my pump up to 100 GPM while injecting, then returns my pump to 70 GPM to disperse the chlorine throughout the pool. With this setup and my pool, the Stenner will run between 2 minutes to as much as 17 minutes per day depending on the season. I much prefer this, than having a pump run for hours on end. Much less wear and tear.

Hawk, I just tested my 85MHP17 and I'm getting 4.75 ounces per minute at setting 10. I'm not sure which size tube I have as I bought my Stenner used. Which tube do you have?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The 17 gpd pump should have a #2 tube but it only outputs about 1.5 oz per minute.
To get 4.75 oz per minute would take a #4 or a #5 tube.

Bama has this dead correct, although I was getting 1.75 ounces per minute out of my #2 tube. It is very possible/probable that with it injecting under pump pressure, I am really actually only getting 1.5 oz per minute dosed. I measured mine at the end of the tube, but not under pressure or with the check valve installed.

Rick what, if anything, are you using for automation? If you are getting 4.75 ounces per minute dosed now, I wouldn't be too concerned myself. Especially since you have a 35k gallon pool. I would expect you to need at least 5 ounces a day anyways. If you have your Stenner setup to turn on, run a certain amount of time, then turn off. Then that 4.75 ounce output will not be a problem. Dial it down to 5 and get another reading. In my pool (25k gallon) and area, during the winter months I'll use as low as 3.5 ounces (CYA at 50) per day. During the summer I would use no more than 30 ounces per day.

My automation is a combination of two Intermatic timers. Wiring is as shown in the attached diagram.

The Stenner tube no longer has the size marking. Apparently rubbed off. Since the tube has flattened a bit through use, I measured the diameter at the base where it connects to one end of the threaded nipple. I'm getting 3/8".

Please bear with me as I'm switching over from tabs and testing strips to the Stenner and TF-100 testing kit.

I only asked about the automation to see if you would be running the Stenner all day with the pump or just for a certain amount of minutes. Since you have a separate timer for the Stenner, I'm sure you could dial back that tube and adjust timer minutes to give you a needed daily dose. Also, if your tube is looking a bit beat up, then it would be a good idea to get an extra now for just in case. You can then order a #2 if you would like to dose a lower amount.
Sounds like you're on the right track though. Once you get it all setup, you'll see things get real easy for ya. :paddle:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.