Severe Drought - Need Help/Advice Please

Jun 25, 2009
Wichita Falls, Texas
Hello everyone!

It has been a while since I have posted on this website. The city I live in, Wichita Falls, Texas is in a severe drought. They say we have enough water to last for approximately 2 and half years. You may have seen several stories about us recently on the news; we are apparently one of the first cities to drink our own waste water (that hasn't passed yet, but will soon I'm sure...it will be a 50/50 mix). I plan on buying bottle water personally! ;)

I really need some advice/help. We are currently in Stage 5, which means I am no longer allowed to use the city water to fill up my swimming pool :(

There are all sorts of companies trying to profit on this by using well water (or water they bring in from out of town), and you pay them to fill your pool.

Our city health department has stated to not use water that has been stored in the type of containers that these companies are using, because certain bacteria (deadly) can be present and chlorine does not always kill it; this somewhat scares me, only because I have a 10 month old baby who I would like to introduce to our pool this summer.

Here is an example of the containers these companies are using:

Container_zps310d3cab.jpg

So, my first question is:

1. Do you think it is okay to use water that has been brought in from another city (or well water) that has been stored in a container??

My second question is:

2. Below is a picture of the test results of the fill water I am thinking of using from a certain company here in town. I see minimal traces of metals, and that really concerns me, but at this point, I really do not feel I have any other options. Also, the salt content is pretty high. Would you use this water in your pool? If not, and you had to, would you have any recommendations for me as to what to add to the water, if anything, to make it "better"??

TestingResults_zpsed0b65db.jpg

Thank you for any advice or tips you can offer. :)

Nothing is wrong with water stored or hauled in a container. The problem would be with whatever else had been stored in those containers BEFORE they were used for water if these are questionable folks.

The biggest problem I see with that water isn't the salt, it's the CH (tot. Hardness). That's some HARD water!

The iron is also high.

I wouldn't use it if I had the choice (maybe you can shop around?) But it's not unusable. You'd need to be pretty darn proficient with pool water chemistry to not have problems using that water :-(

If you want water we have plenty here in Louisiana only 400 miles away, if you want to come get it for your pool I have a well with nice good water, no metal issues with my pool, CH of around 30 ppm, only thing is it is a little acidic.

Ike

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.