Hayward heat pump lp code

Swordfish

Bronze Supporter
Aug 21, 2013
Brighton, MI
So the heater is throwing an LP code after a few minutes of runtime. I think it ran for most of the day without issue. After some reasearch, it appears it could be an airflow issue, low ambient temp, or low refrigerant. When it runs, the exhaust is cold and the water output warm. The ambient temp was 75 so I don't think that's it. Could it be a bad lp switch so it cut out when it was cooler but way above where it should have? Is there a way to verify that it's not refrigerant? I'm wondering if I can fix this or if I should call someone.

Thanks!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

So after further diagnosis, it turned out to the fan motor. I canceled my service appointment and spent 2 hours on the phone trying to track one down locally. Finally found a compatible replacement locally for 130 bucks. The hayward one is about 165 online. The wiring was a little different, as the new one had an extra wire to the capacitor. I figured that the hayward model just tied this to the low side internally, so that's how I wired it. The new fan motor is larger, so had to be careful with clearances. Fired it up and it worked! Pool temp raised 3 degrees over a cool night... will be comfortable for swimming by tomorrow! It was interesting to learn about heat pumps and I'm proud to have fixed it!

Sent from my head, with the help of my fingers and a wireless device; perhaps inconveniencing some electrons along the way

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.