What is up with San Juan's manufacturer warranty?

Jun 18, 2008
Ontario Canada
I hope I posted this in the right spot. It does pertain to our pool build so I think so.
Anyways we are having a fiberglass pool installed this fall. We had decided on San Juan, Manatee model. Our pool builder gave us a copy of the manufacturers warranty last week and I must say I am having second thoughts. I am thinking of switching to Leisure Pools, I thought San Juan was a good company, but the warranty doesn't seem to cover what Leisure Pool's does, which makes me nervous.
Here's some of the fine print.

Warrantor does not warrant the San Juan fiberglass pool shell against cosmetic blemishes or defects including, but not limited to, the colour Gel Coat applied to the pool as a cosmetic finish. Warrantor does not warrant against the Gel Coat finish cracking, bubbling, discolouring, fading or in any manner altering in appearance.

Where as Leisure Pool's warranty online states (we are getting them to email the actual warranty)
It is simply an outstanding pool finish that embodies the very best chemistry and technology available and boasts a full ten year warranty against:

Osmotic blistering Discoloration Fading*
Surface yellowing
Note that the gel coat has also been laboratory tested out to 20 years with no noticeable deterioration.

*The Aquaguard finish includes combinations of UV protection and color pigment and this pigment like any material may be subject to minor levels of dulling over a 30-year period if exposed to direct sunlight. However, due to the highly advanced formulation and chemical blending, any dulling will be uniform in nature and can be easily refinished by applying a gel coat polish to revitalize the pool surface.

Also Leisure Pools offers a lifetime warranty on the pool shell. San Juan is 25 yrs.

After 10 yrs a little fading of the pool colour isn't a big deal to us...I mean our current vinyl liner is 8yrs old and it has faded a lot.

I am so confused now :hammer: . Maybe we should change pool manufacturers? Why do the warranties vary so much? I just want to purchase the best possible pool for our family.

Kim

Kim,
When we where doing our research, I looked at both of them as well. We picked Leisure Pool for their warranty and costs. For us, they have a plant an hour or so away. But... we ended up going with a free form gunite pool do to the look we wanted. Ensure you do research on the installer.

Good luck!
:goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.