Has anyone done a DIY Inground ? ?

Jun 21, 2008
Central MD
I currently have a 24' AG that I plan to sink and build a deck around. For all the work (and $$$ for composite decking) involved, I have been looking at the DIY inground kits advertised on the internet. I am handy, have built my own addition to my house, and believe I have a good grasp on what it would take to build a simple 16x32 vinyl IG pool.

I have contact with a GREAT excavator and concrete guy from doing my addition. I passed the electrical and plumbing testing for my county and installed all of the electric and plumbing in the addition as well.

Can anyone offer advice or experience with building their own IG pool? I saw a post from someone in Afghanistan about finishing theirs but cannot find the post now. I also saw mention from someone else (Sean or Carl maybe?) that they might try it for their next pool.

After reading all of the complaints about PBs and all of the stress they cause people, I'm inclined to just DIY the project if I do it.

Am I crazy or is this do-able for someone with good building skills? (I understand it's not a house, but from what I've seen it doesn't look too bad~especially for vinyl)

You can do a search for "Afghanistan" and should not have too many to search thru.

pzmotorsports is the afghanistan member (well, he's there now) :-D

Re. Casey's similar question - we're gonna get together over the winter here and discuss what's involved in DIY a liner IG pool and how practical it is to do each step as a DIY project! He's already gotten some great advice on this but I'm hoping we can make something comprehensive (read- L..O..N..G and very detailed) this winter when the forum is slower and I personally have the time to devote to such an undertaking :)

I cannot comment on a DIY vinyl pool but I installed my fiberglass pool including the digging, decking, etc. I opted for fiberglass over vinyl after doing some reading because the excavation is more forgiving on a fiberglass since you backfill with sand, and I had never used an excavator before.. I would say that the preparation of the hole is the most important step in a vinyl pool. Also make sure you have someplace for all of the dirt! I failed to appreciate how much comes out of a hole in the ground and spent many weeks disposing of carts of clay...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.