Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Has anyone done a DIY Inground ? ?

1. Back To Top    #1

Has anyone done a DIY Inground ? ?

I currently have a 24' AG that I plan to sink and build a deck around. For all the work (and $$$ for composite decking) involved, I have been looking at the DIY inground kits advertised on the internet. I am handy, have built my own addition to my house, and believe I have a good grasp on what it would take to build a simple 16x32 vinyl IG pool.

I have contact with a GREAT excavator and concrete guy from doing my addition. I passed the electrical and plumbing testing for my county and installed all of the electric and plumbing in the addition as well.

Can anyone offer advice or experience with building their own IG pool? I saw a post from someone in Afghanistan about finishing theirs but cannot find the post now. I also saw mention from someone else (Sean or Carl maybe?) that they might try it for their next pool.

After reading all of the complaints about PBs and all of the stress they cause people, I'm inclined to just DIY the project if I do it.

Am I crazy or is this do-able for someone with good building skills? (I understand it's not a house, but from what I've seen it doesn't look too bad~especially for vinyl)
    24' Round Doughboy AG.
    Usually filled with 3 kids, the wife, and occasionally the dog.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Has anyone done a DIY Inground ? ?

Here's a thread started by Casey, re: DIY IG pool, that you may be referring to?........

diy-in-ground-vinyl-lined-pool-kits-t7778.html

You can do a search for "Afghanistan" and should not have too many to search thru.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

A sales guy I work with who is very handy but not in construction installed his own IG vinyl pool from a kit. He did 100% of the job.
    11000 Gals, Intelliflo, Sta-Rite Cartridge, Polaris 360

Pool I built in my old house: my-new-pool-build-t4534.html

4. Back To Top    #4

You can do a search for "Afghanistan" and should not have too many to search thru.
    pzmotorsports is the afghanistan member (well, he's there now)

Re. Casey's similar question - we're gonna get together over the winter here and discuss what's involved in DIY a liner IG pool and how practical it is to do each step as a DIY project! He's already gotten some great advice on this but I'm hoping we can make something comprehensive (read- L..O..N..G and very detailed) this winter when the forum is slower and I personally have the time to devote to such an undertaking
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

5. Back To Top    #5

*She*

Can't wait to soak up all the info!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

6. Back To Top    #6

I cannot comment on a DIY vinyl pool but I installed my fiberglass pool including the digging, decking, etc. I opted for fiberglass over vinyl after doing some reading because the excavation is more forgiving on a fiberglass since you backfill with sand, and I had never used an excavator before.. I would say that the preparation of the hole is the most important step in a vinyl pool. Also make sure you have someplace for all of the dirt! I failed to appreciate how much comes out of a hole in the ground and spent many weeks disposing of carts of clay...
    6000 gal inground fiberglass
    1.5hp pump / sand filter
    Liquidator

7. Back To Top    #7

Take a look at this site:

http://www.howibuiltmyownpool.com/
    30K gal in ground shotcrete pool with Sunstone Select finish
    Attached raised spa with spillway
    DE filter, 400K btu heater
    Ray-Vac cleaner
    Use BBB methods

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Casey
    *She*

Can't wait to soak up all the info!
    SORRY Casey (you know, the whole 'patriarchal society' thing )

Uhm... I mean darn this stupid computer for not typing the "s" -- It was just a typo
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

9. Back To Top    #9

That's okay waste!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter