EasyTouch Upgrade - valve actuators not rotating when Valves button pressed

May 22, 2013
Tulsa, OK
I have an EasyTouch Upgrade system that has been installed for a number of years. It has valve actuators for the return and intake valves that are connected to the "Return Valve Actuator" and "Intake Valve Actuator" connectors on the circuit board.

When properly working, by pushing the "Valves" button, the valve actuators turn and the heater starts for the Spa. Currently, pushing the Valves button turns on the heater, but the valve actuators do not turn. Power is going to the valve actuators because I can manually flip the toggle switches to get them to turn. Any ideas why this has stopped working?

Let me know if I can post any additional info that might be helpful.

The manual isn't that clear, but it seems that it comes out of the box as if there is a pool and a spa. I didn't see anything about removing or adding a spa, which would be helpful if it somehow forgot there was a spa.

When I push the button, it still changes the display to Spa, just doesn't turn on the actuators. For what it is worth, I ran the self test and it didn't find any errors.

Hi pherring- Have you had any luck with this? I have a similar situation, but my intake/return valve slots have yet to work. I can plug them into the a/b slots which then activate the valves. If it matters, the valves are Jandy CVA-24 (no "T"). This is a recent upgraded EasyTouch, so my panel can't claim amnesia. I called Pentair Tech Support and the gentleman on the phone said, "Well, it should work. Maybe you should just use the a/b slots." I'll throw another voice into the chorus of encouraging Pentair to a) update their manuals; and b) produce some YouTube video with some examples of how to program the controller.

Have you tried resetting the system via the reset button? If the actuators work via the valves button then something in the controller isn't telling them to move when spa is pushed. Maybe someone accidentally changed something causing this to happen. So try a factory reset and see if that fixes things.

Well. I apparently purchased (intentionally and unwittingly) the "single body" version which (as I read in another thread) has the intake and return slots powered on but disabled. I verified that each of the intake and return pin-outs are getting power (24V between the left two pins), but the voltage didn't move to the other pin when cycling through valve selections ("V" button) in Service mode. I confirmed that the voltage did change for the valve A and B slots in service mode. Maybe this particular behavior is a Service mode feature. I am still getting up to speed on this, but it's making more sense now. I think I will look into scheduling a circuit like "pool" or "spa" to see if that does anything with the intake and return pin-out voltages; otherwise, I'll just use the valve a/b slots and drown my buyer's remorse with a Pacifico while floating in the pool.

I'm in the same boat. Screwed because I never knew there was more than one version of the EasyTouch 8. Pentair certainly didn't warn me when they gave me advice about upgrading my 4 panel and adding an additional relay for my landscape lights. Totally ****** now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not likely, but just in case your system has lost its configuration parameters:

The Easy Touch 8 comes factory configured as a '"shared body" configuration and the manual has a procedure to change it to a "single body" configuration. Call Pentair and have them help you return this to a a shared body configuration, or determine that the system is already configured for shared body. I do not believe that there are two different hardware versions, just the way it is configured.

HERE IS A LINK to the manual for the Compool to EasyTouch upgrade.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
From what I've read the P cannot be configured to operate the valves like a non-P model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The original OP was talking about the Compool to Easy Touch Upgrade, which is the Easy Touch 8. The upgrade can be configured for singe body or shared. The configuration is controlled by the J25 jumper on the board and is described in the manual that I posted a link to above.

I agree that the Easy Touch can be purchased in single or shared versions for new installations that are not the upgrade model.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.