My $20 fountain

May 6, 2014
Georgia
Posted last year a few times during our build. Then forgot my login and had to create new account. Need to add my info but we have 18x33 saltwater. Here is my latest addition- a custom fountain!. Just added an extra line to the return and control it via ball valves, so we can adjust the flow. Kids love it and it only cost me $20 to make it! Let me know if interested and I can send pics of the plumbing. This thing was a breeze and only took 1 hour to make. Happy Swimming:salut:

I'm almost done with my plumbing and want to add a fountain. But I do have a question...my plumbing is 2" PVC is this will be okay for a fountain? Or should I use something smaller?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm almost done with my plumbing and want to add a fountain. But I do have a question...my plumbing is 2" PVC is this will be okay for a fountain? Or should I use something smaller?

If using a ball valve you should be fine with either. I ran all 1.5" and have more than enough flow, even with dual main drains. If you turn the fountain all the way "on" and turn "off" the return, it will shoot water 20 ft outside of the pool! Don't recommend that for lots of reasons, let alone the backpressure on the system. Of course the number of holes determines a lot of how the spray behaves. I went with a 24" piece and 20 holes. Real happy with the amount of arc and the noise of the water.

Remember- running a fountain for extended periods also messes with your pH. Might have to test a little more than normal.

If using a ball valve you should be fine with either. I ran all 1.5" and have more than enough flow, even with dual main drains. If you turn the fountain all the way "on" and turn "off" the return, it will shoot water 20 ft outside of the pool! Don't recommend that for lots of reasons, let alone the backpressure on the system. Of course the number of holes determines a lot of how the spray behaves. I went with a 24" piece and 20 holes. Real happy with the amount of arc and the noise of the water.

Remember- running a fountain for extended periods also messes with your pH. Might have to test a little more than normal.
But I need to lower the TA and last year when I have intex pool the fountain helped me a lot

But I need to lower the TA and last year when I have intex pool the fountain helped me a lot

You are correct. I meant to say TA....not pH.

- - - Updated - - -

You are correct. I meant to say TA....not pH.

Well, in the interest of causing less confusion ...

As per PoolMath "To lower TA you reduce pH to 7.0-7.2 with acid and then aerate to increase pH."

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.