Slamming process

Its 4th day of slamming the pool. My CYA is as low as 10 . I am trying to maintain FC 10. But during the day in sun light within in an hour FC is dropping to 5. I am actually adding little more than as per the goal.
I would say it is better than yesterday , when it was dropping to 1 . I have used 75 121oz chlorine bottles and 30 64 oz bottles . Is it normal? CC is now fluctuating between 5-8 it was as high as 10-12. Water is still not clear. It is cloudy. Any recommendations or suggestions.

You have the best kit on the market and then went to the pool store to have them test your CYA ... which happens to be historically the test they are the worst at? :shock:

Please, trust your own testing. If the dot never disappeared, then you know it is too low and need to add more ... adding only 10ppm more was probably a decent idea. Test it again in a week ... likely you will need to add 10ppm more.

It's not surprising that the cloudiness is slow to clear with a sand filter. It will get it if you just keep running it 24/7 and brush the pool daily as long as there is dirt on the bottom.

You are losing a lot of chlorine to the sun. What was it like when you started? What is your pool surface?

Have you checked your overnight chlorine loss? Measure the chlorine at some point after dark and then check it again in the morning before sunrise. This gives a good indication of the status of your pool.

I'm a bit surprised that you have so much CC after adding so much chlorine to the pool. That may be just because I don't have experience with CC. I've had my pool since 05 and have never measured more than 1ppm CC even when I was battling the blackest, nastiest algae mess I've ever seen. Here is a little summary of my biggest algae battle to date. http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/224-Algae-Diary 29.5 gallons of 6% bleach. My guess would be that you may have ammonia from CYA breakdown, but I know very little about that either. Might be worth a search.

You have the best kit on the market and then went to the pool store to have them test your CYA ... which happens to be historically the test they are the worst at? :shock:

Please, trust your own testing. If the dot never disappeared, then you know it is too low and need to add more ... adding only 10ppm more was probably a decent idea. Test it again in a week ... likely you will need to add 10ppm more.

You are right about the test kit. Since it does not show below 20 i was not sure if i have 0 CYA or 10.
But i decided to increase it to 20 . I added little more today to bring it to 30.

- - - Updated - - -

It's not surprising that the cloudiness is slow to clear with a sand filter. It will get it if you just keep running it 24/7 and brush the pool daily as long as there is dirt on the bottom.

You are losing a lot of chlorine to the sun. What was it like when you started? What is your pool surface?

Have you checked your overnight chlorine loss? Measure the chlorine at some point after dark and then check it again in the morning before sunrise. This gives a good indication of the status of your pool.

I'm a bit surprised that you have so much CC after adding so much chlorine to the pool. That may be just because I don't have experience with CC. I've had my pool since 05 and have never measured more than 1ppm CC even when I was battling the blackest, nastiest algae mess I've ever seen. Here is a little summary of my biggest algae battle to date. http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/224-Algae-Diary 29.5 gallons of 6% bleach. My guess would be that you may have ammonia from CYA breakdown, but I know very little about that either. Might be worth a search.

I was told when I have high CC it shows some organic growth in the pool. As i mentioned it happened last year as well. That was one of the reason we were thinking of changing the water. I did not expect this year i would get in to the same issue.

Last year once everything was clear , then we never had issues with CC .

We are planing to go for salt water chlorinator. Any recommendations or suggestions?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have not tested yet for ammonia but water has started getting clear . I still have CC 2 to 2.5. Not sure after clearing the entire water after spending so much money on chlorine bleach , would this Ammonia would develop again? Does it makes sense to replace the water? How much apprx would cost to do that for 28000 gal pool . Believe it or not i have spend $500 on bleach so far. Last year i spend same amt . And more on other chemicals as was not aware of the slaming process and pool stores keep giving me chemicals to clarify the pool.

Also does developing ammonia has anything to do with filter or sand? What is the reason for developing ammonia in pool water?

There is a process that takes place in some pools over winter when bacteria is present and consumes the CYA. The ammonia is a by-product of this process. Does not matter what type of filter you use.

We think one of the prerequisites for CYA turning to ammonia is that FC needs to get to 0 over the winter. If you use our recommendation of closing late in the year when water temps get below 60, making sure FC is at SLAM level before covering it up, and then opening early, before the water temps get above 60, you should be fine.

As long as you follow our recommended levels all summer, you won't have a problem, either.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.