It's THAT time again....

We've started to get our intex pool up, we are just assembling it for now and i hope this summer is gonna be a hot one because last summer sucked, it was cool and the water was cold all the time. I have been looking for ways to heat up the pool and i'm not sure which way to go. I read a lot about solar heat and some are just way to expensive and not wanting to drill holes on my roof especially if it's only for 2-3 months and some just dont work ( we take it down when fall rolls around) we've looked into gas heaters, but we dont have an easy access line to the gas which will cost us more, and since it's not a permanent pool i dont think it's something we should invest in because some heaters can cost $$$$ and what do we do with it once the pool comes down? cap off the line? i dont know gas is a scary thing to play with, then there's the electric heaters and they arent that cheap either but i have looked into the kstar electric pool/spa heaters, now that's something affordable and easy to do but how much would it cost to run it? i know they say it isnt safe for soft sided pools but you obviously will watch the temp etc etc and not have it plugged in when you're in the pool but will this work? has anyone tried this? or can give me any advice on some way or something to heat the pool? i've looked all over the net for ways to heat the pool, last summer i even bought industrial black mats and put them in the pool to get the sun to reflect off them but that didnt do much unless of course it was hot all day and u had a full head of sun. I also had hubby install a hot water line ( he's a plumber) and he ran the line down to the pool so if the water was too cold we could turn on the hot water and bam hot water but still wasnt good

what have you all done with ur intex pool for heat? I do live in Canada ( outside of Toronto) so we really only have a good 2 months of hot weather and i'm worried this summer is going to be as bad as last summer. I want our kids to enjoy the pool as much as possible and of course I want to too!

ANy help would be so much appreciated.

There was this thread http://www.troublefreepool.com/thre...d-a-KStar-10-heater-to-heat-a-soft-sided-pool a while back that discussed the Kstar heaters.
As far as a gas heater goes, probably your best bet. Gas is not a scary thing if the proper people do the work. A licensed plumber could put in the line and do the hookup for you for a relatively modest cost. If you ever decide to not use it any more, a gas grill could be hooked to it.

Do you have access to free or cheap scrap wood?

I've built a small (25,000 BTU my guesstimate) wood fired heater out of copper tubing and such. It is of the rocket stove type design, and works quite well, if a bit slow to warm the pool. But warm the pool it does. It is enough to at least hold the water temp steady overnight on my 15' Intex.

With your hubby being a plumber, he would have access to short leftovers of copper tubing, and fittings aren't much to buy.

I've built a small (25,000 BTU my guesstimate) wood fired heater out of copper tubing and such. It is of the rocket stove type design, and works quite well, if a bit slow to warm the pool. But warm the pool it does. It is enough to at least hold the water temp steady overnight on my 15' Intex.

With your hubby being a plumber, he would have access to short leftovers of copper tubing, and fittings aren't much to buy.

Charlie... If love to see a picture of your setup. I have access to plenty of dry scrap and was thinking about doing the same thing.

Sent from my T0LTE using Tapatalk

well we were thinking about doing this but i just dont have a big enough backyard for something like that, i was also thinking about using my propane bbq with the same idea....who knows...hubby is being a real pain in the *** lol ( excuse my french) but he just thinks adding gas would be too expensive to install because of where the gas line is and where the pool is and then it not being a permanent pool, this pool is taken down every fall and then installed around spring time.
But i would love to swim at night knowing the pool is warm....grrrr .....can someone get hubby onboard with me with gas please lol

.....can someone get hubby onboard with me with gas please lol

I am in western NY so my summers are similar to yours temp wise. last year my gas bill for my pool ran about $150.00 (us) for the whole season. I have a Hayward 100,000BTU heater on mine and only turn it on when it is needed. I keep a solar cover on it when not in use and a Friday afternoon of running the heater is good for the whole weekend and a couple of days into the work week. My heater gives me about 2 deg of temp rise/hr so yours being a little smaller will heat a bit faster on the same heater. The side benefit of having a gas line out to the pool is I also have a line running to my Dukane gas grill. with your husband being a plumber I am sure he can do the work so unless there is some sort of real goofy setup where your gas line is the materials should not be more that say $100.00. Besides, everyone knows a happy wife is a...well... a happy wife.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well I spoke to hubby and he said it's not the cost about the gas that has him troubled or the installation but it's the where you're gonna put the gasline? he prefers to have the gas line running underground so it's not exposed which means digging and we can't dig since everything we have is already permanently installed ( interlock) .

So i think we might just see how this summer plays out and hope for the weather to be hotttttt!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.