Various tools for tightening pump lid?

Sep 19, 2012
Temecula, CA
Hope this is in the right forum.....

are there different kinds of special tools to tighten the access lid on my pool pump? I bought one from Leslie's but because of the location of the pump, the plumbing and valves are in the way so I can only hand tighten the lid. I need some sort of "T" wrench to come at it from the top. I see a little bit of water beading up and running out (not very much). I replaced the o-ring and lubed it up really well but I can't seem to tighten that lid anyfurther. I attached a picutre of my type of lid...sorry...I'm at work and can't take actual pics of my set up.

~Carl

Attachments

• pool_lid.jpg
    pool_lid.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 67
If you need a tool to tighten the lid enough to prevent leaks then something is wrong and should be fixed. Check to see if there is any debris on the mating surfaces and that the sealing gasket is clean, lubricated, and free of cuts or nicks.

If they only need to be hand tight, why do they make other types of tightening tools?
I'm not sure what that means but they really do need to be only hand tight......if that much.

Mine will make an airtight seal if I simply align the rubber 0-ring.....I don't even need to turn the lid.

I am not suggesting all lids work like that but I am emphasizing that excessive tightening of the lid (on a working, not damaged pump) serves no function and can make it difficult to remove

You should definitely not need a tool to tighten the lid, and personally I have never seen one. Just lube up the o-ring good and then hand tight. Also, the lid is on the suction side of the pump, so when the pump is running, no water can be seeping out as air would be more likely to be drawn in.

They DO sell a tool for that lid (I have that pump at previous house), but it is specifically designed to only allow you to loosen the lid and not tighten it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.