Jun 7, 2013
southeast
Forgive the basic question.

Presently

CYA 50 (may be slightly lower)
TA 100
pH 7.5
FC 7 - tested this morning at dawn
CC 0 - every now and again will turn slightly pink w 003 - but, subsequent tests don't turn - so, could be 0.5
Water looks beautiful and clear (!)

Depending on the day's weather, I have been adding anywhere between 30 and 90oz(ish) 8.25% bleach in the evenings [ 30 oz raises FC 1 ]

With respect to FC levels
Pool School suggests between 4 and 6 FC for a CYA of 50 - I'm not entirely sure that CYA is 50 and not closer to 40 as I have a **** of a time determining whether or not I can still see that black dot!!
I've erred on the side of assuming it is higher as to not let FC get too low

My question is : I know I never want it to go below 4 (ever, right?) - but, raising to only 6 concerns me, as it does get down to 4 on sunny days, which, to me, Is dangerously close to getting TOO low
So, should I be raising HIGHER than 6 in the evenings? i.e., should I target 7 or 8 with my bleach additions ?

Also, There hasn't really been any use of he pool this season yet and I have a party coming up this weekend with lots of folks and kids and the pool is going to be rocking
Would it be advisable to kick the FC up a notch before folks show up - get it to 7 or 8 before experiencing such a bather load?
I have yet to see how the pool reacts to folks actually USING it (!)

Thanks!!

The pool will not turn green if you let the FC get to 3 for a few hours before you add chlorine. LOL I'm gonna tease you a little bit.:poke:

We have a range- a cushion if you will. We stress "ALWAYS" and "NEVER LET IT" because we want people to "get to know their pool" and be diligent - because it's oversight and negligence that leads to problems.

The avg loss is 2ppm per day. This is an avg. Get to know your pool. Try 7 or 8 and see where you end up. Maybe it will be a more comfortable place for you.

Yes for a party I'd even go to 10. Test when party is over and bump it back up. That's what I do.

Have a fun party!:cheers:

The chart you are using from pool school does round up a bit, with a CYA of 50, the actual minimum you want to stay above is 3.7 ppm, and even that does not mean if you drop below it a little that you will have problems, just that the chances go up. If your CYA number is a little below 50 then that number is likely closer to 3.5 or less for minimum FC. Having said that I agree with the suggested target numbers mentioned by Frustratedpoolmom

Thanks for replies!

I really don't know what the concern would be in keeping the FC a bit higher, honestly. Not suggesting that there isn't a concern, just that I am unaware of what the concern would be, other than maybe using more product than I really needed - however, If I see that I am losing , say, 2 PPM per day - what would be the difference if this loss was from 6 to 4 OR 8 to 6?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.