3rd time opening, I love you guys. :)

gboulton

Bronze Supporter
Apr 24, 2012
Nashville, TN
3rd time we've opened this thing. Opened on Sunday morning, in hopes to get things warm enough for next weekend's BBQ. :)

This year's excitement (we have an "event" every year it seems *heh*) was the Great Organic Spill of 2014...one of the kids accidentally let an edge of the pool cover slip, dumping all the leaves and muck into the pool. :shock:

No worries though! Got 'er refilled enough to get the filter started, a good dose of bleach to give anything thinking of taking up residence other ideas, and then some vacuuming and brushing. Total cost this year : About $30 for new filter sand and a few gallons of bleach. :)

This morning's numbers?

FC : 6.5
CC : 0
TA : 100
CH : 130
Ph : 7
CYA : 20

Got some pucks in the skimmer to add a bit of CYA, and have turned the jet up to aerate and bring the pH up a tad....figure everything will be pretty solid by Thurs-Fri or so. :)

And...zomg...

20140520_075245.jpg

I know I haven't been around a lot, but I haven't forgotten what I learned here...you guys are AWESOME. :salut:

Given the organic dumping, I would suggest following the SLAM Process to be sure you pass all 3 criteria to stop (specifically the OCLT as the other 2 look good).

Sorry, shoulda been clearer. :) This morning's readings were my OCLT. Last night's FC was 7.0. .5 loss, no CC's, I'm happy. :)

I hammered it immediately after the dump, and had the vacuum in pretty quick. This was just a "safety check" if you will. had I found CCs yesterday or this morning, or failed the OCLT, I'd absolutely have SLAMed it. Since the water was crystal clear prior to the incident, I took a shot that a quick dose of chlorine and fast action to get the biomass out would do the trick, and it seems to have done so.

Why did you need new filter sand?

Had some sand blowing back into the pool late last season. Guessed I had a broken "filter finger" (fin? whatever) at the bottom of the filter, so emptied it to check them. As it happens, I didn't find anything obvious, but went ahead and replaced them (pool store gave me a set for free...can't really explain that one) and, of course, put in new sand.

Haven't seen any blow back yet this spring, so, guessing that one of them had some damage that's not obvious.

Next year, take a shop vac or a leaf blower, or even the garden hose with a spray nozzle and clean off the cover first. Then opening will take fifteen minutes.

Shopvac..like that idea. Easy peasy.

Cover is one of the "sag" types that rests on the water surface, so it holds water as well. That's easy enough to drain with a siphon/pump, but never get it all...the shopvac is a good idea for that last bit. thanks!

Pool looks great! Love the flowers! Hope they don't get dumped into the pool! :shock:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.