Cartridge Filter Cleaning Question

Kidneydoc

Gold Supporter
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Aug 29, 2013
Vero Beach, FL
I am helping a neighbor turn around his neglected pool. He has very high CYA level (>100+) and he has alge in pool...we are draining water and replacing (1/3 of pool at a time to avoid ground water pushing up his pool floor, etc)....Then we will SLAM it when I get the CYA level down to 30-40 range.

The real question I have is this: He as several old(ish) cartridge filters that have been sitting outside for months in the Florida sun...they look pretty dirty but otherwise appear intact. I am not sure of the age of the filters...I will find out later when I go over to his house to check on the water changing process and to retest his CYA level

Should I try to salvage these old filters with some filter cleaner solution (the usual yellow stuff available in Home Depot, etc) and lots of hosing down? Or should I have him get a new one?

Thanks!

(His pool is 13K gallon, concrete, Using Tricor Tablets for Cl.)....simple single speed pump and cartridge filter).

I would go with the dishwasher soap soaking overnight, instructions can be found in Pool School. You'll know once they are in the filter if they are salvageable, after cleaning the pressure should be good, return flow good. If they're not, you'll know it. High PSI and low flow from returns. Soaking with the solution really works and I've salvaged some unsightly ones.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.