Correct CYA for Sunny Pool

dogman

May 8, 2014
missouri
I have posted my testing results under a separate post and all seems ok with the tests. My pool receives direct sunlight from about 9 am to about 4ish. My CYA is currently at or near 30 (probably slightly lower). Yesterday I added 1 lb of stabilizer to bring it up closer to 40 (I will test again in a couple of days). While reading the Pool School basics, it says that for pools with direct sunlight for most of the day, the CYA could (should?) be maintained in the 70-80ish range. I have been adding about 1/2 gal of liquid Chlorine each evening to maintain FC at the 3.5-5 range.

Should I slowly boost CYA higher and then raise my FC accordingly. will that help reduce the amount of chlorine necessary just to maintain proper levels that otherwise will be utilized during the sunny days?

thanks

I don't think you'll see much difference between 50 or 70. But I would go ahead and boost it a tad bit higher than 40. Doesn't have to be exact - it's a range. You just need to know what it is to maintain your min levels and know your shock level. Which hopefully you won't need. ;-)

In a laboratory, you will reduce the chlorine loss to the sun with higher CYA. In reality, it probably won't be enough to notice. Also bear in mind that there's an upper limit to the colormatching FC test, and if your minimum FC is above that, you'll have to use the FAS-DPD powder test every single time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.