Opening Pool - Finally beginning to clear up and now I'm back to brown water - Ugh!

3littlecowboys

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 6, 2012
This is only our second season with a pool so I'm still a little new at this. I've been working on opening our pool for the past two weeks. Mostly just trying to get all the leaves and pecans out for the first several days and filtering the water! (Pool is under a large pecan tree). Anyway, I'd gotten all the leaves out and the pool was clearing up but still cloudy and couldn't quite see the bottom - I could see a little darkness if there were leaves there but not really the liner. This morning I put some shock in - Just a 1 lb bag. And this afternoon I checked the chemical levels and here's what I got. (I took the water to the pool store because I was out of the CYA reagent. Also, my test says that I had no chlorine).

Here are the pool store's numbers:
Free Chlorine - 0
PH - 7.4
TA -110
CYA - 20
CH - 200
Salt - 2000
Phosphates - 500

My pool is 13' X 26' X 52" - Using a SWG and a 175 lb Sand Filter w/ a 1.5HP pump. Somehow I have miscalculated my gallons -- I was calculating over 16,000 gallons yesterday! I don't know how I got that number but I'm afraid I've thrown everything off!

I came home and added 2 gallons of bleach (8.25%). Then added 45 oz of CYA (In a stocking by the return). I kept squeezing the stocking every few minutes to help it dissolve. I went inside for maybe 30-45 min and when I came back out my water had gone from "getting clearer" back to brownish "lake water". Ugh!! What's up with that??

The only other thing that I can think may have done something is that after I added the bleach and the CYA I turned off the pump for about 45 min. and had my husband take the swg cell to have it checked out because my "check cell" light kept coming on. After he got home, we hooked it all back up and turned the pump on. (THEN I went inside for 30 min. and came back to a brown pool.)

Additional info: I was surprised that there was no chlorine in my pool after adding shock this morning - however, I realized later that I didn't have my generator running so it was only filtering and not generating chlorine.

I've also added 2 - 40 lb. bags of salt this evening.
About an hour ago I tested my chlorine and ph levels.

Chlorine was 10 and ph was 4.2.

I added 50 oz. of borax (weight).

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

You need to SLAM the pool manually, see the instructions in the How To section of Pool School.

The SWG can't take over until you have finished the SLAM and subsequently gotten the CYA level up to normal levels for a SWG (70-80). You also need to get salt up before using the SWG.

Mom, can we go swimming now? :D

Personally, I'd leave the SWG on during the day, at a low setting. It will help dampen the ups and downs, especialy when the sun is burning off FC. With three boys, I'm sure you're busy enough without the pool that you might get delayed testing and dosing. Just don't forget to shut it off when it's time for the overnight loss test.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.