CYA Standard problems

Mar 21, 2012
Suffolk, Va
finally broke down a bought the 50ppm CYA standard. wasnt having problems just wanted to know that i was getting close to my target level and wanted to calibrate my eye. So i recieved the standard and have not been able to get any results with it. It is crystal clear at 50 ppm and even when i fill the test tube all the way up to the top i can still see the black dot crystal clear. So I began to think that maybe it is made so that it resembles 50ppm CYA in regular water and that i still had to add the CYA test reagent to it and then do the test, then it was so cloudy that i couldnt see the black dot with only a couple drops in the tube showing over 100ppm. Any thoughts?

FC 5ppm
CC 0ppm
TA 110 ppm (working on getting this down to 70-90)
PH 7.5ppm
salt 3000ppm
CH 50ppm

Did the test again using the solution with good results and i dont know how anyone could ever get accurate results without using a standard first to see what to expect. holding the sample tube at chest or stomach level i would get inaccurate results with the standard (reading 50ppm standard at 80-100). it wasnt until i held the sample tube down at waist level with sun DIRECTLY overhead that i could get satisfactory results using the 50ppm standard solution. I could see where i could have easily been off by 30ppm on my results before using the standard ( I was thinking i had 80ppm in my pool water already and actually only had around 50ppm). I would definately recomend getting the standard solution to anyone who does this test.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.