Budget Friendly partial IG AG Pool?

b15nut

LifeTime Supporter
May 19, 2014
san tan, az
Howdy everyone! Been reading feverishly through the forums trying to gain as much knowledge as possible in a short amount of time lol I am trying to determine the best route to take with what I want in an AG pool. I have a few criteria for wife approval:

1. No deeper than 48" (Daughter will be able to stand with nose out of the water at 42" water level)
2. 18' up to 24' in diameter/length (The area it is going in is a 27'x27' area. Shape not an issue but looks like anything bigger than 18' automatically means deeper than 48")
3. Will be partially buried IG 24"
4. Must be salt water.
5. $1500 total budget for pool/pump/etc.

I know this is going to be tough but I am hoping to get pointed in the right direction and to be done with my build by end of June.

I have connections for all the ground preparation so that is not an issue.

Thanks in advance for any and all input :salut:. Am I dreaming with my requirements?

Howdy everyone! Been reading feverishly through the forums trying to gain as much knowledge as possible in a short amount of time lol I am trying to determine the best route to take with what I want in an AG pool. I have a few criteria for wife approval:

1. No deeper than 48" (Daughter will be able to stand with nose out of the water at 42" water level)
2. 18' up to 24' in diameter/length (The area it is going in is a 27'x27' area. Shape not an issue but looks like anything bigger than 18' automatically means deeper than 48")
3. Will be partially buried IG 24"
4. Must be salt water.
5. $1500 total budget for pool/pump/etc.

I know this is going to be tough but I am hoping to get pointed in the right direction and to be done with my build by end of June.

I have connections for all the ground preparation so that is not an issue.

Thanks in advance for any and all input :salut:. Am I dreaming with my requirements?

just to give you an idea of what a buried AGP costs, im breaking ground on mine Friday. Here is the cost for a Doughboy 16 x 32:

Pool with pump and filter: $6,000 after $500 off coupon from doughboy. this does not include a saltwater system. This is a 1.5 Hayward pump and 250# sandfilter.

Install (includes buried 2 ft) - $2,700.00

If you have to meet code for fence, im doing my fence myself, materials cost: $1,300.00

Granted, this for a top of the line Doughboy with turnkey install. Im added extras too, and a deep end, concrete decking. It will be $13,000.00 to $15,000 once the dust settles.

Unless you are installing and burying it yourself, I highly doubt you will be able to get it buried and installed for $1500.00.

from our local dealer, the cheapest pool they had was $3500 bucks, and the cheapest install price was $800 for an above ground installation on the cheapest pool they had.

I have $1,000 in our current 18ft intex pool, BTW, and its not buried and I installed it myself.

you can shop around and find a pool for $1500.00. But I doubt it will be rated for burial. People do bury pools not rated for burial though, and have had no issues. If you are doing all install work and burying yourself, then it may be possible to do it within your budget.

good luck!

I got my pool from The Pool Factory..
I had good experience with them. I purchased my pool in the beginning of January and they agreed to hold the pool for me till April at no charge. I called them in April and told them to ship it. Next day it went out. I had some questions after purchase and they are always available. Great company.

The Pool Factory seems to have really good prices on pools and if I had had any energy left in me, I would have ordered my current pool from them. Alas, I had exhausted myself with the previous Intex installs and I could not stand the though of lifting a shovel one more time or a pool post for that matter.

So, in March I had a 15' x 52" AGP install in Orlando, Florida and I spent $1600 ($99 for the install/ground leveling, which was a special price). That total price was possible because I did not need a pump, filter, or ladder. With those things, the price was $2300 before the install cost was added. You may have to do some prioritizing and decide what you must have now and then add other components later as money becomes available. The saltwater system is something that can definitely be added later. At any time you choose, you can add salt to your pool if that is what you enjoy and then chlorinate the pool with bleach or your chosen method. Saltwater systems are still putting chlorine in your pool through a different process but lots of people like the feel of a saltwater pool. Also, do not forget that you will likely need a solar cover and the requisite pool tools. Then, add the price of TOOOOOYSS!! Good Luck!

I had good experience with them. I purchased my pool in the beginning of January and they agreed to hold the pool for me till April at no charge. I called them in April and told them to ship it. Next day it went out. I had some questions after purchase and they are always available. Great company.

I agree! They are awesome.. I have bought several things from them..When I have questions and call them they super responsive.

Thanks for all the replies! Pool factory looks good but they are all 52" or deeper. I want round wife wants rectangle/oval. Any benefits for one over the other?
For me it was the benefit of my pocket! Lol..Originally I was buying a 12X19..the cost of an oval..quite a bit more..and for install it jumped too for an oval. :cool:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am currently running an Intex experiment. 15'x48" metal frame pool was given to us in need of a new liner.

First year, we had it set up above ground. Took it down over winter. While it was up, we noticed that the legs "walked" quite a bit when kids used the pool.

Second year, I dug about 18" into the ground, added 2" of sand. Started filling, and backfilled against the pool with the dirt I dug out, keeping pace with the water level. Left it up over winter. Rowdy kids in pool can't make it move, even when they jump in from the small deck.

This year, opened to a clean pool, with only the tree debris that made it through the mesh cover. Legs are still in good shape, I've dug around a couple of them to check for rust. Nothing yet.

You could possibly join in on the experiment, and be close to staying within your budget by buying an Intex metal or ultra frame and bury it the desired 2'. No guarantee that it will hold up for more that a few years time you won't be replacing legs or liner, but by then you will know more about what you want, and be able to finance it.

Pool pics here.

It is 100% possible to do what you want to do! No doubt you can find a free or cheap pool on CL, you may have to remove it yourself but then you know all the parts are there and how it goes back together. People are worried about voiding a warranty when considering burying a pool but look for a good quality steel walled pool and go for it.

I love my oval pool but putting it in was certainly more work than a round. I feel like it is sturdier than round with the cemented in cantilevers but if I had found a free round, we would have a round!

@Charlie_r Thanks for the tips. You have some very ingenious methods!!

@Laceygirl Wife is starting to lean that direction.

@Pigeonlove Check around on CL and most of the prices are close to new here in AZ lol

If we end up with a larger diameter it will have to be a 52", any restrictions on how full you have to fill the pool? Can I fill it to 42" and leave it at that for a year? Thanks again!

I just did a CL search for " Doughboy Pool" in Phoenix and got seven options :). One was priced very high but all the others were either dirt cheap or close to it! All of them were newer than the one I installed last year and she is working just fine. My pool was essentially free and came with equipment, ladder, a mountain of chemicals and had already been disassembled. I had to replace the liner ( of course but I found one for under $200 online) and the sand filter had melted in a fire so I purchased a new one on Ebay...the biggest one I could find!

I set the pool into a hill and did all the digging by hand, all the assembly by myself and I am a 5'8" 140lb woman with small children to chase after.

This summer I am working on decking and landscaping again with mostly re-purposes materials and my pool is no eyesore.

My vote is still for Craigslist! Get a couple Puddlejumpers for the babies and they will have a blast in the pool no matter the depth. Got me excited about the pool, swimming today for suuuuuuure!!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.