Intex better than sand filter?

cfclay

Apr 24, 2010
Lexington,Ky
We moved into this house and they had a 22' x 52" intex pool with a 2500 gal/hr intex cartridge pump & filter.

I didn't think it was doing the trick and I didn't really know much about flow rate and that kind of thing, just that I had had pools before and it thought these intex was inadequate.

I bought a used sand filter and a 1 hp pump that has had some issues with leaks and debris coming through the return.

While working on my sand filter, I had to hook up the intex filter... And I have to say, I like it a whole lot better. It doesn't leak, the connects are modular and don't require modification.

There are many intex users here, what do you think about these cartridge filters? Are they really adequate for 5 bathers a day? Pool season starts this weekend!

I agree. I owned a 15' frame and an 18' easy-set and had difficulties keeping them clean with the intex filter.

At one point I calculated the area of the filter and came up with something around 15-20 sqft. That isn't going to cut it with 5 bathers in a 10,000+ gallon pool.

The second best thing I've bought for my pools is the sand filter/pump combo. I use the pump that came with the filter to get the water flowing in a whirlpool, it helps get the dirt to the middle of the pool which makes it easier to clean up. This is our 3rd "temporary" pool, and ALL of the pumps/filters that came with them were pathetically sized for the job. Go with the sand filter, you won't regret it- modified connections and all.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.