How much chlorine to add until cya is adjusted

May 19, 2014
Oregon
I'll try to figure out how to put this in my signature when I'm on my computer. I have an Intex above ground pool 12 by 36 1779 gallons. pump I believe is cartridge 530 gallons per hour. it gets sun from morning till about 5 pm. It's about 70 degrees outside today. Test results are from the sticks because that's all I have until I get my new kit. Test results: TH 0 FC 0 PH 7.2 TA 80 CYA 0-20. These tests are as of right now. I'm using the BBB method. I put 2/3 the recommended CYA that I got from the pool math calculator to slowly build up my CYA using the sock method yesterday and ran the pump. Squeezing the sock a little from time to time. Today the sock is empty. I did slam the pool using bleach and recommended amounts twice in the last week. Question now is how much bleach should I be putting in until my CYA builds up? I've read that if chlorine reaches zero you need to slam it but since my CYA isn't doing it's job yet I figure I probably shouldn't be shocking it every night but what do I know, I'm a newbie. Set it up and filled it last week. Water is Crystal clear, with no junk in it.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

If the CYA is all dissolved, assume that it is active and use your target CYA level to determine what your minimum FC level is (PoolMath will show you the "normal" range where the lower number is the minimum, or see the FC/CYA Chart).

Welcome, Wendy! :wave:

And no, just hitting zero doesn't mean you automatically need to SLAM. Your pool is a living thing; if it's otherwise healthy, one day without eating won't do any permanent damage. It'll just be voracious. A few days without chlorine may cause problems, though.

Use poolmath to calculate what your CYA value is. Put the pool volume in up top, then scroll down to Effects of Adding Chemicals, and plug in how much (best estimate) you added and choose "stabilizer" from the dropdown menu. It will tell you what your CYA level should be.

Then use that estimated value for CYA. Be sure to select Vinyl and Bleach and Troublefreepool in the very last row of the table, and it will tell you recommended values. Always target 2 or 3 higher than the minimum. Maybe even 4 since the CYA is uncertain.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.