Julie's Pool

YIKES - plumbers came back to straighten some pipes and after I had them walk me through what all the plumbing lines were for, found out they forgot the pre-plumb for the pool navigator. Well, they certainly weren't happy since I have already covered most of the plumbing lines to the equipment...oh well - they said they were done! I only speak a tiny bit of spanish, but could hear them discussing how I was a pain in the ### - I reiterated that they were the ones that forgot the line and they quickly shut up. Ha - just do it right the first time and we wouldn't have this problem.

Well, they placed the pipe through the pool wall and will be back next week to run it to the equipment. At least I am ready for my 6am shotcrete on Monday morning. I will post some pics later now that I have covered some of the exposed trenches.

Shotcrete has started!

The shotcrete lay-in has started:
<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://vid20.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid20.photobucket.com/albums/b244/UnrulyJ/ShotcreteJuly2004.flv"></embed>
<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://vid20.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid20.photobucket.com/albums/b244/UnrulyJ/ShotcreteJuly2005.flv"></embed>

Shotcret ewas completed on Monday, trying to keep the project moving forward...we will see if anything else gets done this week.
Oh yes - late Sunday we figured out that the plumbers did not place the pipe through the back form in the correct area. I had to cap off what they had done and run new pipes through the wall before the shotcrete Monday am. Luckily my shotcrete guys were first rate and they made sure my skimmer was pulled up 3'+ to be plumb with the bondline and other plumbing issues were corrected. My plumber says his guys will come out and correct their issues by end of week....I am waiting to pay until all remaining is corrected (pool vacuum line back to pump, pre-plumb for solar, replace or credit the cost for the broken equipmetn slabs). I just hope his employees perform since I want to bury all piping soon.

I signed contract for my pool, patio and ramada Fog system....since this was a pricey option, we are backing away from doing the artiztic pavers and going with an acrylic lace over concrete for the decking. Have to keep somewhat within budget
<a>
ShotcreteJuly2addtnl015.jpg
</a>
<a>
ShotcreteJuly2addtnl009.jpg
</a>

Update July 18 - we are moving forward again

Well, seems that things slowed down for the past two weeks :(

Monday the plumbers came in and corrected the issues we had. They had to chip out some shotcrete to move some in floor heads to the correct location, plumb the pool vac, move the pipes for the water feature in th rbb wall, pre plumb the solar, replace the leaking ball valve at the pumps for my bubblers and replace the two broken equipment slabs. The owner of the company actually worked side by side with his "crew" to ensure all were done correctly. I am sure he had some choice words :whip: for the crew since they were sent out two times prior to correct the issues.

Today my decking crew arrived at 5:30am to start work. Just found out that my pool should have been 3" higher to allow the best fall from pool to patio.....so much for leaving professionals to do something correct! Well, I am good with on-the-fly changes, 'um corrections, so we will now have a 5" deck around the pool edge instead of 4". This will allow the minimum fall away from the pool for drainage. I now have to let them install the deco drain that I hate. Originally I was going to keep the new slab 6" away from my existing patio, but with minimum drainage with the fall, I will need all the help I can get to draw the water away when the monsoons happen.

Thursday I have my AZ Fog Wizards coming in to place the nozzles into the deck forms and complete the fogging of my patio - definitely looking forward to turning that on and enjoying the patio tomorrow evening 8) . The deck crew will finish forming the deck at that time as well .

Friday - deck is tentatively to be poured :-D and I am looking forward to a decrease in the amount of dirt that is migrating into the house.

I will post more pics when I can.

Friday -July 20 Concrete Deck Poured

:-D The deck was poured today, a few issues we had to correct last night and more this morning at 4:30am before teh 5am cement truck arrived. All is in now and acrylic lace will be applied on Wednesdya of next week by the same company.

Issues:
Well, as an owner-builder there are some gray areas that I had not buttoned up. Hind site is always 20/20. Me - the mediator and more importantly the one that makes it happen to keep the build moving forward. I was missing what goes between the ring/lid assembly for the skimmer, leafer and water leveler and the units themsleves. The How I Built My Pool site does not clearly show what it is and indicated it was a plastic sleeve. So here I was - plumber and concrete guys both say it "is not their job" :evil: . Concrete guys acted dumb like they never came across anything like this...hmmm and they said :x they did lots of pool decks. Plumber did say it was a sponge not a plastic sleeve that went between the two peices to block the concrete from getting into the units......o k ...pried more detail from him and got him to will-call three "sponge things" and the missing ring and cap for one of the three units. I sped down to the plumbing store and picked those up last night.
DeckingJul20017.jpg

Oh - then there is the aerator that the plumbers install, well they installed the line to the aerator area and plumber advised that they do not run that with a FA to the edge of the deck, the deck people do that too. Ok, what is a FA? Oh - yes that is a female adaptor. Oh goody I get to go to the local box store too!! Installed that at 4:30am this morning, then marked where it was in case the guys couldn't see it.
DeckingJul20015.jpg

Needless to say I got home after the concrete guys had left for the day....another mistake! Well, they did not form the firepit or extend the cantelever on the deck by my stools and it was 8pm. I watered in the soil really well for the am pour.

4:30am - it is dark, I greet them and they scramble to get the fixes done. the cement arrives at 5:05am and we are delayed. I have an irrigated lot, the concrete guy knows I just watered and he still thinks he is going to back the cement truck over that area - I DON"T THINK SO!! Well, they were none too happy to wheel the mud across part of the yard.

3pm - now - I am relaxing after work and admiring the concrete work - another day down
DeckingJul20finished003.jpg

DeckingJul20finished001.jpg

DeckingJul20finished002.jpg

I must say, you are a TROOPER! :goodjob: Keep up the good work and keep after your subs. I know I have to even though i'm not owner-builder. Your experience is starting to make me re-think about the whole use a pool builder thing. You're progress looks GREAT!

Good Luck!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you KTDave.

well, DH came home tonight....he does not like construction and has an engineering background so we seem to have lots of difficulties working on projects together. This is the main reason that I am in charge of the build and delaing with subs, if he was dealing with subs we wouldn't have any :lol:

Surprisingly he really likes the 36" x36" squares that I created, with the 12" gap between them. I just called my concrete company and they will be creating 12 more 36" square pads on Wednesday to help balance the yard out, the the acrylic on Thursday. I am thinking I may place articficial turf between the squares to help give that green look with no maintenance. We had lawn next to the pool last time...never again will we have real grass next to the pool.

We have have been watering the slabs down and I also put in a full day at work. Thank goodness I have an office at home and can step out to check on the project every so often.

I am still on track - dug pool on June 19th with a target date to swim on Aug 1st... still have lots of finish work to do:
POOL
*Columns to be built on each side of RBB & block at firepit
*Rock on RBB & firepit
*Water scuppers installed at rbb
*Acrylic Lace on deck
*fogging of patio
*waterline tile and tile on bar stools
*clean up of pool (scrape shotcrete & clean interior)
*Interior inspection
*pebble-tec interior application
*water fill
*start -up
*SWIM :-D

NEXT PROJECT(s)
Palapa build
BBQ walls - build in BBQ, TV, etc
Fogging of palapa
bench around firepit w. storage underneath for pool toys
rock facade around aboveground spa - to match rock on RBB
pergola along side spa side of yard to hide RV parking

Well, it has been a long day for me - off to bed now...feel like an old timer on a friday night. Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!

Fogging Complete

My fogging system is in :-D - now I must be careful so I do not fall into the pool! Tomorrow more decking and Thursday they finish the acrylic lace.
<a>
FogWizardJuly24003.jpg
</a>
<a>
</a>
Looking out from my house
<a>
</a>
Here is the stone we picked for the back wall, waterline tile color and then small diamonds to mark the edge of the steps.
<a>
DeckingJul22008.jpg
</a>
This is the detail I am planning to install between the concrete squares...it is synthetic so I do not have to move and edge.
<a>
grass.jpg
</a>

Cool fogging system.

Wait, are you sure that wasn't because of the humidity from the rain we had last night and today - whew! was it ever steamy in Phoenix, today. :)

Love your tile and rock choices.

We have had some rain tonight - finally!

The additonal concrete is done ( 12 additional 3' x 3' squares) and tomorrow we wil have the acrylic lace done. We have gone bold TERRACOTTA is the color that we have chosen... yes the color is dark - we will see how it looks tomorrow afternoon.

(edited for spelling...)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.