CYA Sock Method ?

waterl0gged

May 12, 2014
Central PA
Hi all,
New here but have been reading up for a while ...............well since October when we purchased our new (to us) home with an in ground pool .
Long story short , saw pictures of the running pool and peaked at it under the winter cover before buying the house, but the pool was already winterized and winter came quick in the northeast. So really just hoping everything would be o.k. when we got to opening time in the spring.
Its a 18' x 36' vinyl liner pool with an 8' deep end. Approx 26,000 gallons if my math is correct.
Anyway ...........winter was hard this year and opened the pool to a nice tear in the corner of the liner , and a few minor holes that needed patching . Its probably due for a new liner but not for another year or two for us as we just purchased the house, and a bunch of our disposable income went to buying the house, lol. Patched the holes and tear and filled the pool up, primed and started the filters .............yes filters (there is a cartridge, DE and a sand filter all plumbed in) . Everything is working great, just a few little drips in the plumbing that I need to take care of. Already got rid of the old DE filter and I plan on running the cartridge and sand filter .
Ok, the water was a nice shade of green, so got that all taken care of and in about a weeks+ time, the water is now crystal clear and we have been swimming already (although its friggan cold,lol . 65 deg. but the boys dont care ! New solar cover has it up to about 70 already, but these cold nights keep knocking it down.)
I have the TF 100 test kit. (I already have a 400 gallon hot tub that also made the move with us !) SO I am pretty well "learned" in taking care of the tub chemistry . Its already running on the "dichlor - bleach method" and I have set-up a bleach dosing system for it already . ( its now a VERY low maintenance hot tub!)
The pool is a little different and because of the scale a little bit more intimidating to me until I figure it out.
Anyway ............

My pool numbers are
PH - 7.2 (would like to get that a tad higher. )

Alk - is 110 / 120

FC - I am trying to keep at around 3 with bleach ( just ordered a Liquidator that should be in tomorrow !)

CC - 0 (Yay !)

I forget Calcium #'s but I remember it was within spec .

My CYA is reading 0 ! I tested a few times because I thought I wasn't doing the test incorrectly , but it keeps coming up 0 with the TF100. Double checked it with the useless strip's I had on hand and of course they say its about 40 lol. :roll: SO I will trust the TF100 readings.

I dont want to dump a bunch of CYA in my pool skimmer/pump , and don't want to hang a sock from the edge of the pool or just dump the sock in the filter basket and risk a clogged basket / pump.
I just hung it suspended in the skimmer box by tying a knot in the sock through the hole in the skimmer lid, so the sock is hanging in the turbulent water and slowly dissolving . Does this of CYA sock method O.K. ? I only put 4 cups of CYA in the sock for now (I am a believer in not overdoing the chems too quickly).

Does anyone else dispense CYA like this, and is it o.k. to do like this ?

Thanks !

That is fine. We often suggest just putting the sock in the skimmer basket that is what I did (actually used a T-shirt). But, it is acidic, so it would be best to run the pump 24/7 until it is dissolved. Squeezing it often can speed that up.

That is fine. We often suggest just putting the sock in the skimmer basket that is what I did (actually used a T-shirt). But, it is acidic, so it would be best to run the pump 24/7 until it is dissolved. Squeezing it often can speed that up.

Thanks !
Also forgot to mention, no heater (besides the solar cover, lol) so is the possible acidic damage reduced enough so I dont have to worry about it.
I am also assuming that the pool has been running on tri-tabs for years now directly in the skimmer due to having a bucket of tabs still in the pump house , and no floater that I can find !

Thanks again !

Leaving the CYA soaking in the skimmer with the pump off and making the water in the skimmer very acidic. Up to you if you think it is not going to cause a problem. It will certainly have some effect on the skimmer basket at least.

- - - Updated - - -

Honestly I did not ever read the first part ... that makes no sense to have that many filters. Just extra time and money to maintain them all.

Wow, three filters? Can you post a picture of your setup? I have never heard of that.

Leaving the CYA soaking in the skimmer with the pump off and making the water in the skimmer very acidic. Up to you if you think it is not going to cause a problem. It will certainly have some effect on the skimmer basket at least.

- - - Updated - - -

Honestly I did not ever read the first part ... that makes no sense to have that many filters. Just extra time and money to maintain them all.

Yep ........... 3 filters. All plumbed with valves so they could be run one at a time, or all together............. crazy !
I already cut out the DE filter . I prefer the Sand filter, so I kept that , and also kept the cartridge filter incase I need it down the road. Actually I am running the cartridge and sand filter right now ...........it seems to be working well. It kind of keeps the system self regulated. If either the sand or cartridge filter starts to get clogged, the flow just regulates itself to the other filter. I just keep an eye on the pressure gauges and flow meter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.