CDC Hot Tub Advice

Ok, so we should panic over a report of 16 incidents reported to the CDC in a 1 year calendar period with probably millions of operating hot tubs, many of which are poorly balanced? Personally I feel safe in my hot tub, I test the chlorine and pH before each use, have an SWG, an Ozonator, and a Nature2 mineral cartridge (admittedly the cartridge is not changed on a regular schedule)

There are way more than 16 incidents of hot tub rash/itch/lung in a year. Most residential incidents do not get reported to the CDC. This isn't the same as reporting from commercial/public pools nor reporting of more serious diseases. Just on one spa forum alone I accumulated a dozen or more such incidents. The most common cause was using too little or no chlorine (sometimes due to use of "alternative" sanitizers, which really weren't). Use of Dichlor-only building up CYA over months may also be a cause but there were too few of those incidents to be sure.

Properly chlorinating with the Dichlor-then-bleach method has not led to reports of these problems and its been a few years now since that was started.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.