Eyeball/return puzzle?

onewomanarmy

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 8, 2011
I have a small return at the top of my inground steps that is threaded as if ready for an eyeball type piece, but is really small. I bought a 1/2" and 3/4" threaded PVC fitting just to see if I could figure out the actual size and (of course) the 3/4" is too big but the 1/2" doesn't quite seem to be big enough - though the 1/2" does slide in and seem like it would stay in place. Not sure how it would work with any resistance on the end however. I'd like to get something "directional" in this return as it seems that full flow, straight out from the existing hole does nothing to help move junk out of the step area. Does anyone have any recommendations as to where I might find something that would work in this situation? Given the standard size is 1 1/2" threaded eyeballs for returns, I've not had much luck finding anything in other sizes. Does anything like this exist? I would think, since there is a threaded return line there, that something was meant to fit there, but the pool is over 25 years old and we aren't the original owners so I have no idea if there ever was an eyeball type fitting that went there.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Is there only one hole like that? My pool (built in the 70s) has a set of 4 normal returns and a set of 10+ smaller holes like you describe on a separate loop for what was a whip system (kind of a predecessor to the in-floor cleaners).

I guess my post is not very value added, since I have just left mine and not tried to plug them or put a directional fitting in them. I guess my point is if it was for a similar setup, maybe some odd proprietary thread was used for these systems and I am not sure you are going to have much luck.

There is only one hole - interesting that you have so many. I've poked around online and just haven't turned up anything that would seem to fit this - so you may be right - something proprietary and probably out of date. I was hoping it was maybe a spa/hot tub fitting but I've not had much luck yet finding anything. At least I know I didn't have the one single one made! :)

FrustratedPoolMom, the outlet is actually higher than other returns, and I believe has it's own valve back at the pump station, so it can be turned off and on independently. At least that's how I have it in my head, will need to double check that later.

Mac1775, I don't actually have an eyeball that will fit in the return hole, I was just trying a PVC fitting I picked up at Lowes to try to figure out the exact size of the opening. The fitting was threaded, as was the opening in the wall, though I don't think it was very deeply threaded, seemed like it (the wall opening) just had a few turns worth of threading. The 1/2" threaded fitting slid right into the opening and seemed to fit snug enough that it stayed in place even with water flowing, though the threads weren't engaged. So it was slightly smaller than I needed.

Was trying to figure out if I could use that fitting, since it did stay in the hole, to somehow create an eyeball type piece that would give me some direction. My guess is, that once I add anything that offers any resistance in trying to direct the water flow, the fitting may not be as likely to stay in the hole since there is nothing holding it in place. Whatever I try, will need to not protrude much at all in order to keep it from being stepped on (yikes!) or someone tripping over it (double yikes!).

Interesting, I guess that never crossed my mind because it's such a small opening. I thought a pressure side cleaner would need more pressure than this. I'm guessing the opening is around 5/8" and doesn't seem to have that a great deal of pressure.

I've attached a photo I happened to have with the opening/return, ignore the dirt on the steps, it's not usually this dirty! :) Whatever it's for, I sure haven't found a way yet to make it useful.

Attachments

• small return.jpg
    small return.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 67

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.