How to get sparkling water....advice needed please

"In June 2010 borax and boric acid were reclassified by the EU as “Reprotoxic Category 2“, suggesting that they may be harmful to the reproductive functions of humans in high doses, and the product package must display the skull and crossbones symbol. From December 2010 these products were no longer available for public sale within the EU. While this classification now applies for all of Europe, non-EU countries still have some leeway in regard to public sales."

Source: http://www.health-science-spirit.com/borax.htm (much of this article should be taken with a grain of... borax) :)

If you read the article, aside for the "benefits" portion, there's not much solid scientific "human data" supporting this move by the EU. The amounts they're talking about are extreme. It would be like using it in your tea like sugar.

Not that it matters much, if it's unavailable in your region, it's unavailable.

It wasn't too long ago our grandparents and great grandparents were using borax for toothpaste so how bad could it be?!

If you have a pool light, wait until dark, shut off the pump, wait for the water to be fairly still, switch the light on.

What do you see?

If you see a million tiny little floaties in the light beam then you might try using some clarifier.

Disclaimer: Might not work, might gum up your filter (especially DE filter, might do something unexpected!

If you do go that route, carefully follow the directions, don't use more than specified, plan to thoroughly clean your filter a day or two after.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My water stays crystal clear (Evian-like) if I simply keep my chlorine and PH levels correct. I add stabilizer and I have added a little Borax but not much. My pool get less Evian-like when I let the chemicals drift to much. When i notice a loss of water clarity, I add some DE/Cellulose to the filter (1/2 cup maybe) and run the pump for 24 hours. The pressure rises significantly, I backwash the filter, and the pool is sparkling again. Then, I swear that I will never let it drift again. Fast forward a few months and I do it all again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.