New pool setup help for a friend

4myBitsy

LifeTime Supporter
May 25, 2013
Milford, CT
Hi All,
This is my second year with my pool and my first full season going BBB. I have read a ton on this site and so happy to have found it! I am amazed by all your knowledge. I am pretty comfortable with all my testing and pool care.

A friend of mine is having a 24' round AG pool with a vinyl liner installed tomorrow and asked me to help with her water startup. She purchased a SWG and I know little about them. She is filling the pool with tap water so I ran the tests today on our tap water with my TF-100:
FC .5
CC .5
PH 7.2
TA 20
CH 40
Can you tell me what we should start with? From what I have read I think I will get the PH up to 7.5-7.8, TA up to 60-80 & CYA to 70-80 first. How much salt will I need to add and how fast will the SWG bring the chlorine level up, will I need to add liquid chlorine? I normally use 12.5% liquid in my pool.

Thank you for your help & expertise in advance!!

Use bleach until the SWG is ready to go. You do not usually want the SWG starting from 0ppm, better to start at the correct FC level.

Add the salt whenever you want, leave the SWG off and circulate for at least a day after adding salt.

I would leave the pH and just raise the TA to about 60-70 (this will raise the pH a little and the SWG will as well). You may want to add the CYA in 2 steps.

Use PoolMath to calculate how much of each chemical you need for a desired change.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.