A/G Main Drain Installation Technique

TomU

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 22, 2007
Wyoming, Michigan
Without dealing with the advantages and disadvantages of main drains on above ground pools, can anyone (Dennis, Matt, others) offer any advice on the installation of a pair of main drains in an above ground pool? I've just finished digging the deep end (approximately 22" deep) and the soil type is primarily sand. I'm guessing I'll need to do some packing/compacting after the pipe is buried (both between the drains, and out of the pool area). I'm planning on boring under the sloped walls in the deep end so I don't have to try to repack and shape them from making a trench all the way down.

1.) Should anything special go under the body of the drain (gravel, etc.) other than sand?
2.) Should the drains be left a little high (or low) to allow for base compaction once the water is in?
3.) Should I completely fill the pool and let it set for a week or two and then empty the water down to a couple feet before cutting the vinyl for the drains to allow for settling (well water is cheap)?

Thanks!

Tom

Just my unscolicited 2 cents - I love my bottom drain....

When they installed mine they did it all in one day. I have had some settling around the drain and grit tends to settle there instead of going in the opening. I have to stir it up with a brush for it to get sucked in. So I'd be certain the sand is packed well around the drain. I have no other advice, sorry!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.