Cloudy pool

egadds

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 16, 2014
louisville,ky
I did a slam on May 6th the pool was clear so I didn't do an overniite test I haven't been diligent with the bleach adding and testing. Working allot of hours. Anyway my pool is now cloudy. I did a test on it the other day. I added a couple jugs of bleach. It is starting to clear over the weekend. I can see the bottom drains now. When i did the CYA I filled the tube all the way up and still could see the black dot. I am gonna test when I get home. Another thing I noticed my screws on my returns where rusty looking or discolored. I will post a pic of that later when I get home.
What is my target # to keep my FC at? My pool is 24,200 gal
FC- 1.5
CC- 2
CH- 375
TA-90
PH 7.5
pool cloudy.jpgcloudy pool 2.jpg

What is my target # to keep my FC at?
You have to consult the FC/CYA chart in Pool School. Assuming your CYA is zero, then you need to put in 10 ppm FC and KEEP IT THERE until your pool is clear.

I suggest you get some CYA ASAP and bring that to 40 ppm. Then, consult your FC/CYA chart for the new FC level.

Sounds like you are being too lax ... add a bunch of bleach one day and calling that a SLAM is far from accurate.

You need to follow the SLAM Process until you pass all 3 criteria to stop (currently you are failing 2 of the 3 and unknown on the OCLT) ... and then maintain adequate FC for your CYA level.

As Dave said, I would add about 30ppm of CYA now and start to SLAM.

0001474655503_215X215.jpg

Aqua-Chemical-Stabilizer-3lbs

Where would I get CYA?

My pool is sparkling clear now. My CYA I can still see the black dot with the cylinder all the way full. My chlorine is 1.5. Should I bring my CYA up to 40-50 and then bring my chlorine up to 3-4?
I bought 2 of the 3# containers of aqua chem. How much of that will I add?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The directions said to broad cast in the deep. I tried disssovling one 3# canister in a 5gal bucket of hot water. But it just ended up a glob in the bucket. So I dumped it in. Then I just broadcasted the other canister in. I brushed it around abit before dark. I noticed this morning the material was just sitting on the bottom deep end. About how long will it take to dissolve? Also since I won't have a true CYA for a week. What should I get the FC up to for my party this weekend?

Vac it up and the filter will capture it.

btw, we never recommend broadcasting CYA. It will sit on the bottom of the pool and can cause stains. It is acidic. Usually, we recommend using the sock method for adding CYA, but it can be added slowly to the skimmer (to be caught in filter) and leave the filter running.

- - - Updated - - -

24 hours after adding the CYA, 'assume' it is there and adjust the FC accordingly.

You should have searched the forum for how to add cya! Instructions I've seen on containers said to pour it in a skimmer--- also NOT recommended here. Definately not in a bucket! It doesn't dissolve fast enough as you've found out the hard way! Brushy brushy brushy!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.