HELP! Plugged in haward pump to start up the pool and its DEAD.

May 19, 2008
gulf coast of Texas
Plugged it in and turned the switch to "on" and nothing. Dead. No hum, nothing. Someone on another page told me to check the impeller. I stuck my hand into the hole, but I only feel a small round knobby thing that doesn't move. Is the ball part supposed to move or what exactly am I supposed to be trying to turn? Please tell me this won't be hard to fix. We've only had it for 3 or 4 years. But I made the mistake of not taking it apart and cleaning it before winter and storing it in the barn over winter. Ugh. Hope I didn't ruin it.

Its a Hayward Power Flo Matrix SP1510Z1SEHC 1HP

Pull the bolts to split the pump apart and inspect the impeller and see if you can turn it by hand (Unplugged of course). If it does not turn, then you will need a new motor (or to replace the bearings).

Crud...I got the DE Filter housing disconnected and off of the plastic base so I could move the pump off the stones and get it to a workable area. I'm the only one hear today and as I was slowly dragging it across the grass to my porch, the pump fell off the plastic base. Apparently the metal bracket that was holding the pump onto the base with screws was rusted through and the rusted bracket just broke and it rolled off the base. Not sure what to do with the bracket part that is rusted all through. Doesn't it need to be attached to the plastic base when in operation?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.