Is this a good deal for a heater?

Dimes

Jul 13, 2012
Walpole, MA
Looking to install a Hayward H400 FDN 400k BTU Heater (natural gas) for our 29k gallon above ground pool (liner). Will also require a 1.5hp super pump. The pool store is looking for $3k plus another $700 in labor. I have no clue if this is a good deal or not. Any help would be much appreciated.

Looking to install a Hayward H400 FDN 400k BTU Heater (natural gas) for our 29k gallon above ground pool (liner). Will also require a 1.5hp super pump. The pool store is looking for $3k plus another $700 in labor. I have no clue if this is a good deal or not. Any help would be much appreciated.

I just bought this PR406AENX - Raypak Heater 406,000 BTU NG w/ Cupro Nickel Tubing for my inground 27,000 plaster pool. The forum here recommended going with Raypak. I bought it online from inyopools.com for under $2K. The local pool places wanted closer to $3K and leaving it up to me to find an installer which in my area is impossible if your not contracted with a pool company already. I was hesitant to order such a high priced item online and have it shipped but I have to say, Inyopools had great correspondence via email and I received the heater within a week free shipping. I hooked it up yesterday which was very straight forward since I was replacing a similar heater (Jandy/Laars 400BTU NG). It only took a couple hours. Only been running a day but seems like a well made unit. Despite being cold enough for a frost this morning, it raised the water temp 10 degrees in 8 hours.

Adding a heater does not require a larger pump ... that is just non-sense if that is what they are telling you. If anything I would suggest switch the motor on your existing pump to a 2-speed of the same size and run on low most of the time to save money on electricity.

I agree with the above that the Raypak heaters seems to get much better reviews than the Hayward.

Do a bit more searching this forum with regards to the Haywards. Why do you think you need a bigger pump?

I'm having a Rheem 400k heater installed this week... Bought it from the pool store. They wanted close to $3k for it plus installation; researched online and found some really good prices for a Raypac. Shared those with the pool store and asked how close they could get to the online price. They came down to within $150 or so from the online price. In my opinion, the $150 is a small price to pay in case I have a problem or issue. I'd check with the store and see if their willing to deal... Worst case they say no.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.