Sand filter pressure. What should it read?

May 1, 2011
London, UK
Hi All,

As the topic suggests I'm looking for pointers as to what the correct pressure reading in psi for my sand filter. I assume the lower the better but then I need to know when I need to backwash. I just reconnected the pool yesterday. Should I have put the head on the filter to rinse?

Cheers
DK

every install is different. I've been told to determine where yours is (with your current gauge - most of these gauges aren't terribly accurate...and vary from gauge to gauge). Backwash until the sightglass is clear. Then run your system on filter and see where it is.

It is indeed different with every set up. Depends on all factors of plumbing, filter, pipe size, returns etc, etc, etc... As mrcarcrazy says, backwash your filter til sight glass is clear, then swap to rinse for about 30 seconds, then to filter. After the pump runs for a minute or two and pressure stabilizes, that's your clean pressure.

Mine is 14 psi.

It should read somewhere between 0 and 40psi. The specific number depends on you setup (pump size, pump speed, filter size, plumbing, number of suction and return lines, number and size of eyeballs, etc).

You should do a good backwash, maybe even Deep Clean Your Sand Filter, and then see what your clean pressure is. Then backwash when the pressure rises 20-25% over the clean pressure.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.