Brand new salt water pool - HELP!

May 18, 2014
Milford, CT
Our pool is being installed tomorrow and I need some help with how to get my water ready. I've read lots of differing opinions and I'm not sure the proper steps to begin!

We are in CT, above ground pool, 24 foot round - will be using salt water generator, filter is DE

What chemicals do I need to start with and does the salt go in first? Or after the PH and stabilizer are balanced?!

Any help for this pool Newbie would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!!!

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

As Dave said, you have to start with a full set of test results after the pool is filled ... you already ordered one of the Recommended Test Kits right? ;)

You CYA will be zero, so you will certainly need to raise that. You will also want to use bleach to maintain the FC levels until your SWG is up and running. Salt can be added at any time.

How much Pool School have you read? Start with these:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool
Water Balance for SWGs

thanks for the responses! ;) bear with my total ignorance as i figure out this whole "pool thing" LOL

i understand that once the pool is installed tomorrow and i fill with water, I need to take a full set of tests to determine which chemicals and how much are needed. i guess my question is more basic:

i understand how the SWG works but unfortunately the salesperson we got the pool from was kind of a ding-dong who told me that salt water pools don't require any chemicals other than the salt (WRONG!); and had absolutely no idea how to answer my questions. so i'm a little confused as to whether i need to add the salt and give the SWG a chance to work it's magic; or do i treat the pool like a standard-chlorine pool and get all my levels where they need to be (including adding chlorine) and THEN add the salt and let the SWG work to maintain the levels. i have found forums that say to start off both ways and i'm not sure which way is recommended. Sounds like Jason you would recommend adding the chlorine/bleach to get levels to where they need to be prior to adding salt?

Treat it like a standard pool to get everything balanced ... add the salt at some point (does not matter when, could even be while you are filling). At least a day after adding the salt and when everything else is balanced, then start to dial in the SWG ... this could be on day 2.

Fill.
Test.
Get the CYA dissolving.
Get 2ppm of FC in the water.
Adjust pH if needed.
Fire up the SWG (a day after adding salt).
Continue to test and adjust things daily.

Hi again, pool is up and filled, initial chemicals added - thanks 4myBitsy!! :). Here are yesterday's test results

47" water = 13200 gallons

FCC 5.5
CC 0
TA 60
PH 6.8 (little low but SWG will raise a bit correct?)
CYA didn't test - need to wait til Friday but we put in enough to bring to 60

Am I ready for salt and getting my SWG up and running? Thoughts? Thanks in advance

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi again,

Salt is in, SWG running since Sunday night. Here are today's test results....just looking for your expert opinions on how to proceed - I think I could figure it out but want to make sure I'm striving for the correct goals (some confusion between SWG instructions and what I've read on here- tho I trust you guys more ;)

PH 7.5
Salt 4200ppm (measured at 4000 on Sunday?!)
FC 5ppm
CC 0
CYA 80ppm
TA 70ppm
Calcium 50ppm

Thoughts? TIA

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.