Need advice on filter/heater for intex pool

May 18, 2014
Lake Forest, IL
Hello Everyone - So last year in August I picked up an Intex 16' x 48" deep Intex ultra pool for my three kids (Aged 7 and below). I am in the north burbs of chicago and last august was not the warmest weather so the pool was kind of chilly. Took it down for the winter and stored in basement. We had a weekend in the 80s a couple weeks ago so I put it up again and filled using alot of water from the water heater (ran hose into house). Water temp was in high 70s but we have had so cool weather and now the water is in the high 50s. I live in the north burbs near Lake Michigan and so it is usually cooler. I am tired of dealing with the cool water in the pool. I also have alot of large trees in the neighborhood that block alot of the sun.

I decided I am going to add a heater. Went on craigslist and found a guy that is going to fill in his inground and was selling all his equipment and wanted the buyer to disassemble. I figure I will need new pump. So I grab tools and head over. Here is what i have:

Hayward H150 heater 3 years old

Pentair Superflo 1.5 HP pump

Polaris PB4-60 Booster pump

Huge Sand filter canister (2' wide by 3' tall)

Polaris pull vacuum robot

I paid $600 and the stuff really seems to be in good shape and relatively new. The pool was old but he said he had been replacing stuff as it broke over the last couple years.

Could I replace my intex pump with the Pentair Superflo and hook that to the heater? Could Ii buy some type of canister heater and splice into the line or would the filter on the pentair superflo be enough?

Any other thoughts? I am eventually going to either get a bigger Intex or maybe bite the bullet and get an in ground but want to see how it goes for a while.

Thanks

Brian

Welcome to TFP!

Yes, you can use that pump on your Intex, however you will have a couple of choices:

You can make adapters to the stock Intex suction and return fittings, or replace them with regular pool fittings like this and this.

When you start to plumb your pool, you should go: pool suction>pump>filter>heater>return.

Best bet would be to get a through the wall skimmer, and put in a couple of returns. 1-1/2" PVC pipe will be a good size to use. Be sure to use pool rated ball valves, regular hardware store valves will break after a couple of years.

Thanks Charlie! What kind of filter do you recommend if I go with your first option (pool suction>pump>filter>heater>return)?

You mentioned putting in a skimmer. If I do that, obviously I would have to cut a hole for the skimmer so would that just be an additional suction point? Would I have to add returns? Also will all of this stuff run on the one pentair super flo?

Your pentair super flo will handle this and more, easily.

Most of the Intex pumps (1500gph and higher) are only 1/2hp. You have 3 times that. The largest Intex sand filter only has a 3/4hp motor.

You could run the skimmer as an additional suction point. In fact, since you have that large pump, it would be a good idea. Yes, you would be cutting a hole in your liner. Many of us have done it already, with no ill effects to the pool. Same for the extra returns.

There is nothing wrong with using the sand filter you have, it would work great for your pool!

Next thing you need to start doing is read in Pool School, linked in the upper right corner of every page here, and get yourself a great test kit. No need to rely on pool store testing. With Pool School, you will learn what your pool needs, and the least expensive way to add it.

The best test kit on the market is the TF-100, from http://TFtestkits.net. Best is to get the XL option and the speedstir. Read up on this in Pool School.

You can use the Intex wall fittings, yes. But you will have to make the adapters. Your pump will run a large amount of flow, that is why I'm recommending adding the skimmer and extra returns. Your pump may overdrive the two fittings. There is a way to reduce your pump's output. You can change the impeller to a smaller one, for lower flow rate.

Why don't you want to use the sand filter you have? It will do a good job of filtering your pool. As large as it is, you probably won't have to backwash but once the entire season.

That basket in your pump is for catching anything that makes it past any in pool strainers, such as your skimmer or the Intex wall strainer. You can't put a filter cartridge in there, it's not made for that.

Any plumbing you do to this pool, can be removed and used on your next (larger) pool.

Total of two returns would be good.

Here's a few pics of how I minimized the glue joints on my pool, for bending PVC pipe to fit a round pool:

I taped a 1200W hair dryer to one end of a 10' length of PVC

Then as the pipe warmed up, tied it to the support legs

Added a couple of spacer blocks, because when it cools the pipe has a tendency to "spring back" a little bit

I let it cool slowly, to minimize the chance of cracking before hooking it up to water.

Just to make sure it stays in place, I tied it to the base of the supports

If the flow is still too strong, you could change out the impeller on your pump. I'm sure there are others here that could guide you through that if it is needed. I would wait and see if you like the flow first.

Nice setup and cool idea on bending the pipe.

I ordered the skimmer you linked above which comes with a return. So I will add the skimmer and the 1 extra return and see how it is. It looks like it isn't very hard to add a skimmer or extra returns. Just nervous about cutting the liner.

I plan on getting this all up and running this weekend. Once complete I will post some pictures of the setup. I dont really want to lower the flow of the pump because I want the heater to process as much water as possible.....

Thanks again!!!

Brian

So I spent a couple days and have the heater, filter and pump installed. Still need to do the skimmer and the secnd return. But it is running smooth!!!!

Here are a couple pics. When I woke up yesterday the pool temp was 66 degrees. After I turned the heater on the temp went up to 85 degrees in about 4-5 hours or so. I tapped into a 1 inch gas pipe that goes to the meter so I kept the one inch up to the outside and than reduced to 3/4s to connect to heater in the event I need to attach a bigger heater for a bigger pool. I also ran 220 to the new box.

Thanks for all the help.

Brian

20140527_114509 B.jpg20140527_115225  A.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok - I have the through wall skimmer and the second return done. Working great. Glad I did it because I still am getting a ton of suction and return with two suctions and two returns so it probably wasn't good for that pump to only have one and one.... :)

Next question, any recommendations on through wall skimmer vacuums? My next addition.

By the way, the heater is great, we have used the pool a bunch since getting that in. Now the trouble is getting the kids out....Water is warmer than the air most of the time....

We will see what my gas bill is but since pool isn't that big cant be too bad...

Brian

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.