Are my results OK?

May 12, 2014
Brampton, ON
Hi everyone. I have been reading this site all winter as we moved into a home with a pool in November (my first), and am pleased to say I haven't had any trouble with the pool so far, but it's only been open for a week, haha.

The pool is vinyl, has a SWG, and currently the water looks great. I've got all the equipment working properly and the water is clear (it was green when we opened, but cleared up nicely with SLAMing and has been great ever since. I think my test results are pretty good, I just want to confirm, because I'm not 100% sure of the CYA level since the water is cold (around 58 degrees.)

Most recent results are:
FC: 5 -- this is slowly coming down after SLAMing but it's taking a while. Finally sunny today, so this might help?
CC: 0.2 or less
CYA: I think this is between 30 - 40 ppm, quite low anyway but I am finally registering some after the addition of 2kg of stabilizer when we opened and filled it up (pool is ~ 24500 gallons). Prior to that I wasn't getting any cloudiness at all. I don't want to add any more in case it goes too high. PoolMath had me adding like 4 kg or more. My SWG has a sticker in it that says recommended level for CYA is 20-30 ppm "if required"??
TA: 100
CH: 125
pH: 7.5

If anyone could let me know if this sounds OK, that would be great. PoolMath keeps saying corrosion of plaster, but I'm not sure if that's a concern or not in a vinyl pool. I'm afraid to do anything to the pH since I believe I'm on the high side for TA???

Thanks in advance for your help!!
Heather

Your FC is just about perfect for a CYA of 40. The acceptable range is 2-7. I would keep it at 4-5.

Your CYA is a little low for a SWG but since it's not very hot yet it doesn't matter much. We generally recommend a higher CYA of 70-80 for SWG pools. Just be very careful not to overshoot. You can slowly creep up on that number as the water gets warmer, testing every week. Once you get to 70 your FC target will be 3-10.

You are correct about the CH, it doesn't matter because you have a vinyl surface. You probably only need to test that once or twice per year to make sure it's not getting too high from fill water.

I wouldn't worry about the TA. The SWG will slowly raise the pH. You will need to bring it back down by adding acid which also brings the TA down.

Also, it's a great idea to Edit Your Signature to include the details of your pool.

Thank you very much JesseWV! I will do as you suggest and keep the FC as is. Trial and error for now as I figure out appropriate % and pump run time etc.. I can confirm that the pool is very refreshing currently (ie. FREEZING!) but didn't bleach out my suit or anything crazy.

I have to order more reagent for CYA tests. Got a little test happy and used it all up already. Oops.

Thanks again!

When you do get more CYA reagent, bring a water sample inside to warm up. Maybe set it in a sunny windowsill a while. Then do the CYA test. The others might change if the sit too long, so just do that for the CYA. It doesn't go away, as anyone who's inherited a pool-store mess will attest.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.