Removing Multi-port on Sand filter

js8390

Bronze Supporter
Apr 28, 2014
Pleasant Prairie, WI
Hey guys, I'm changing my sand (just finished baquacil conversion) and have so far, removed the plumbing going into the multi-port. I removed the top of the multiport and seen that there is only a port for water flow...so that can't be the way to get the sand out. The drain plug does have a larger plug that it screws into. I started loosening this larger plug and did get some sand coming out. However it does not remove, only spins. I tried tightening this same plug...and it won't tighten either. Any help is appreciated.

The filter is a WMC Corporation F600 sand filter.
The Multi-port is made by Praher.

Thanks!

20140519_095845.jpg

The thing is pretty heavy (300lbs + sand). I took another look at the top, and it does look like what I thought was the top of the tank body, is actually the bottom of the multiport valve. I also went through the receipts from the former owner and she did have the sand changed often as well as had the internals inspected, So the MPV must have to come off...I just don't want to break it getting it off. I put a wooden handle in the waste and return ports to get some more leverage, and it just starts to spin the whole filter body. This is not going to end well...

I would expect the multiport must screw off since I don't see a band clamp (there may very well be a real name for it, I'm new to this).

Yea, I was thinking the same. I still got get it to even budge though. I wouldn't think there would be any reason for it to be reverse threaded...so I haven't tried to really budge it the other way with any force. I'm just thinking...plastic. I don't want to crack it and have to replace something that works fine.

Usually top mounts have a clamp ring holding the valve on the tank. I don't see one on your set up...

The whole multiport should come off the filter, though it's unclear how yours is staying on there. Did you remove a ring clamp that goes around the whole base of the valve at its interface with the filter body?

Looked on manufacturer website says:

• Choice of screw-down, bolt-down or clamp-down models

There was no clamp, nor any bolts. In the picture posted, all I had done was remove the pipes. If it is a screw down...they must have glued it...I'm using wooden handles (think garden tools) in the ports to get more leverage and this thing isn't budging at all.

I'm impressed you found the manufacturer website. I couldn't even find that!

- - - Updated - - -

My only alternative at this point is calling the pool store...and a receipt I saw they charged over $200 for the service.

Jv had found the website for the valve, and of the 3 options available, mine HAS to be a screw in type of valve. The problem is it's so tight. I put as much torque on it as I feel comfortable with, and is still doesn't move.

The conversion calls for sand removal unfortunately.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yikes man. It may be a question of what breaks first....I know nothing of Baquacil, so I don't know WHY you have to change the sand. Baquacil must be some serious stuff.

I know...that's what I'm afraid of. I don't want to break that valve and then have even bigger problems. Baquacil is the devil! Haha. It's frustrating for sure. I'm mechanically inclined, as I'm sure many here are...and it drives me nuts that I can't get this off. Looks like I may have to pay to learn a lesson here.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.