Will vinyl pool steps jets/returns eventually stop working?

CHP

May 8, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Hello everyone,

I would greatly appreciate some input from other inground vinyl pool or fiberglass pool owners who have jets/returns built into their steps.

We are in the process of deciding between two bids from two complete different pool systems, Hayward vs Fox. The reputable Hayward PB offered to put in step jets; we will have two sets of 8ft straight steps, one in the shallow end and one in the deep end of a rectangular 20X40 or 20X44 vinyl pool (in Canada there are no codes per say regulating residential pools on whether or not walk-out steps can or can't be installed in the deep end, so we can do so). The purpose for the jets is to help keep the steps clean, and provide a spa effect when sitting in the area.

The other reputable Fox PB recommends not installing them, and if we did we would need to sign a waiver. He claims that within a year or two they will either leak or not function properly. His reasoning being that fiberglass/acrylic steps for vinyl inground pools are not the same as solid concrete steps, and that movement will occur, which will cause the jets to start leaking. He also stated that if they are not winterized properly, they will eventually malfunction and need to be capped off.

Does anyone have any input to offer, or any experience with their own acrylic step jets?

And while on the topic of returns, the Hayward PB appears to have one main return line with several pool jet connections, and the same for their intakes (the bottom floor deep-end drains are linked in to the skimmer which then goes to one intake to the filter). Fox has 3 seperate return lines, and seperate their intake lines. In the long run, will one system be a better choice than the other?

Thank you for your help!

The step jets thing is a new one on me. Been doing them for over 30 years never seen that issue. What I have seen is from time to time someone putting the winter plug or the eyeball in to tight and then trying to remove them and loosening the nut on the fitting. As for plumbing each suction plumbed individually to the pump. One return line if sized right is ok but to me not prefered, would rather have two return lines

Fiberglass steps are just fine if properly installed. Of course you need to winterize them correctly or there will be problems. That is true of all of the plumbing. It isn't like it is more difficult to winterize step jets compared to anything else.

Separate plumbing runs are better, but not essential.

Thank you both for your input, it was what I was hoping for. I really like the idea of the step jets, and to me it made more sense to seperate the intake lines, as well as the return lines. Unfortunately when obtaining bids/quotes from pool builders it isn't always easy to get an unbiased opinion from them.

Mine don't leak, but there's a surface crack where the valve is at the top of the steps that I suppose is supposed to regulate the amount of air being mixed in. When I twist the knob at the top of the steps, nothing happens. No leaks in the plumbing though, as far as I can tell. This pool was built in 02, new liner 3 or so years ago. It has been somewhat neglected though, I bought the house at the end of April as a foreclosure.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.