How long did YOUR vinyl liner last?

Swampwoman

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 27, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
Hi all.
Well, I've opened again after the 2011 foreclosure swamp recovery to a generally beautiful and thankfully functional pool.

Despite the well water and my constant combat with iron via Jack's magic, the liner generally looks great, with a few exception that give rise to my question..

There remain three copper-colored stains that never go away, despite repeated AA treatment, an experiment with hydrogen peroxide to reduce iron last year and now spot acid treatment with a new device I found this year. There also remains what I suspect is "underside fungal growth" in a shaded corner that is beige, doesn't respond to high shocking or other treatments, and that varies in shade depending on the point in season. The discoloration runs along the slope and seam of the same corner where two very mature azaleas and one beautiful but close large Japanese Maple reside. I am reluctant to treat the perimeter to see if that eliminates the "under liner" phenom for fear of harming these beautiful landscape features.

So, since I'm tempted to "just live" with the stains and enjoy the pool, I am wondering at what point I should be planning to replace the liner. This one is 14 years old.

So, for those who've replaced a liner, how long might. Get from it and did you ever deal with underliner stains, etc. as the liner aged?

Just curious. Thanks in advance for any info!

Here are pix...it's a little windy this a.m. but that's the best I could get.
Cheers,
SW

The first pic, if you look at the top right corner, is where the discoloration is in the corner.
The second shows the largest rust stain.
The third is shadowy (stain not actually that dark) but gives you an idea of the swath of discoloration in that corner.

PoolOPV2014-05-19 09.42.33.jpg
PoolStain12014-05-19 09.42.56.jpg
PoolDiscolor2014-05-19 09.43.12.jpg

Generally speaking it seems around 10years is a good average. We lucked out and got around 12 years from each of our liners. Putting in our third sometime this week.

Are you doing it yourself, or using a PB?

Did your liner fail, or do you replace more as maintenance?

Mine doesn't really even have a wrinkle. Which is why I'm leery about replacing it...eg introducing possibility of problem where none existed except the value of treating underneath...

Sounds lie I've already exceeded the enteral life span, right?

My pool is over 30 years old and has been through a number of liners, one lasted only 3 or 4 years before splitting at the seams, the current one is at about 11 years old and still going good. Quality of the liner and chemical abuse are probably the 2 biggest factors in liner life.

We chose to have an installer do this, however if I had a few more hands I'd tackle this myself. We came home one day to a 1/2 empty pool. It took us about 3 days to find the leak, in which was right on the seam from the walls to the floor. A patch has held for about 9months, however we decided to replace it knowing were on borrowed time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.