DIY Magnetic Stirrer

Jul 5, 2008
Central Kansas
This seemed like the best category for this topic, if it needs to be in another, feel free to move!

I built a Magnetic Stirrer the other night with spare parts I had laying around the house. Very easy and only took about an hour!

Its not necessary I know, but its fun and makes testing your water a tad easier.

The parts I used are as follows:

1 80mm case fan. (from an old power supply.)
1 set of 4 case fan screws for attaching the fan. (Already in the fan)
1 12vDC Power adapter.
1 USB HDD case.(Old USB1.0 Case)
1 Tube of strong glue. (I used epoxy)
1 Roll black electrical tape.
1 Rare Earth Magnet. (I got this from an old hard drive.)

I would base this project an intermediate level task due to the electricity involved, possible fire hazards and risk of electric shock could occur.

Making the case for you stirrer is up to you too decide, and there is countless possibilities for design. Once you have obtained your materials and have and idea for your case start building! :)

If anyone would like more detailed instructions, I'd be happy to provide them. If not I'll save myself all the typing and go swim!

Best of luck!
BB

P.S. Heres some pics of the finished product!
devicebm6.jpg

inmotionay4.jpg

DIY magnetic stirrer

Hi all,

I wasn't sure exactly which forum would be best for this...but here's a link to a nice and easy magnetic stirrer. If I EVER get some free time I plan to give it a try.

Here's the link for those Diy'ers... Do it yourself magnetic stirrers

Get those soldering irons heated up :)

dan

Attachments

• 623821895-DSCF1437.jpg
    623821895-DSCF1437.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 535
Don't know how you guys posted within two minutes of each other and with the same title, but I merged the posts. Probably going to move them to "Testing the Water".

I was concerned that the forum database had been corrupted when I saw the two posts. :p

Cool idea.

Northcountry said:
One question...where in the hard drive can you find the earth magnet? Never taken one apart so not sure where to look :) Thanks for the post and the pictures.
When you take the top cover off there will be the platters and the heads. The heads are on an arm. At the other end of the arm is a copper coil. This coil is covered top and bottom with the magnets. All drives are just a bit different. There is no way to miss them. The will suck your screwdriver right to them.

Pics Added:
IMG00050.jpg

IMG00059.jpg

IMG00061.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Here's a tip, maybe you already know. The metal wire I used for stirring was scraping the plastic container for my tf-100 kit and was leaving floaters in the water. So I used heat shrink tubing & shrunk it over the wire with a small amount hanging over each end then squeezed the ends shut with my finger while still hot to seal it off. No more scratches & the metal won't affect the test(not sure if it would anyway) hope this helps.

Anthony

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.