Question on my pump noise and upgrade option

yeomanflood

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 7, 2012
Sacramento, CA
Hello. Thanks to everyone for your help. I've been able to take ownership of my pool from the help of this forum and I love doing it right.
I have a new problem - my Jandy JHP 1.0 just starting making a noise - it's internal to the main pump and it's a loud vibration sound. Oh, the other thing is that when the pump is off - there is the sound of periodic bubbles from either inside the filter housing or inside the pump.
My pool:
~18,000g, Jandy 580, built ~2002, waterfall (separate pump), chlorine (usually liquid), Nor Cal.
Logically, I suspect the seals, maybe impellers need cleaned or replacement and maybe the bearings.
I only called one shop and they said if someone came out and repaired the pump - I'd be looking at around $300 on the high end.
If I was going to spend the $300 I thought I might as well upgrade to a more efficient pump; I assume most people's response would be "upgrade if you can afford it." I'm likely to enjoy the benefits of a lower electricity bill as I plan on staying here for a while.
1) Should I just go ahead and choose the path of upgrading the pump and blowing off even repairing it or looking into that? (I mean if it was like $100 I might just repair it and postpone the upgrade)....

Next, if I'm going to upgrade it - what brand type would be good to get. I have read some different things about variable vs 2-speed, etc. But I thought a variable would be ideal (assuming they are reliable enough), and I've read good things about the Pentair Intelliflow, etc. I got a couple estimates that it would be around $1,500?

Also, the way my pool is plumbed is a little weird. The water from the pool comes to a T with a valve, one line goes to the filter and the other to the auto vacuum line (Legend II). That means that the vacuum is before the filter and not after (seems weird to me). I can switch the water flow and turn off the vacuum on some days if I want the water to circulate more and the pool is clean enough. I have a Jandy energy bowl on the vacuum line and it just started leaking (no matter how much I tighten, I'm using silicon gel and I already replaced the o-ring, I see no damage on the threads).
2) do I need to get a new bowl?

3) if I get a new variable pump - under the slow speed it probably won't be enough pressure to move the vacuum right? but I would imagine that's OK because when the pump goes to the higher pressure mode - it will be enough to move the vacuum (which probably only needs to be on for like a couple hours a day).

Thanks, again.

I have a lot of energy needs. I have an above ground spa (4-person, Cal-Spa) and a gaming pc and all incandescent lights in my house (cause of the original owner). Either way, my total for the month probably ranges from 130 to 330. With an average of probably 230 or so.

It is a little approximate, but lets call your electric rates medium.

The first thing to check is to make sure there isn't something caught in the impeller housing. With the power off you should be able to remove the pump strainer basket and feel into the impeller area to see if there is any debris in there. Assuming that doesn't turn up anything, the next option would be to remove the pump yourself and take it to a motor shop and have them replace the bearings.

If you do want to replace the pump, and assuming there aren't any water features you haven't mentioned and that the spa is separate from the poo, I suggest looking at some of the newer smaller variable speed pump, like the Hayward MaxFlo VS. That will cost a lot less than the IntelliFlo, and thus pay back your initial investment much more quickly. The compromise is that it is a smaller pump and it doesn't play well with automation, being limited to simple on/off external control, and then giving you some control on it's front panel.

Thanks for your reply. My wife's preference is to go with a new pump - and we're going to see if we can afford the Pentair. Next, we will go ahead and get it replumbed at the same time so the pool water won't return immediately through the vacuum and instead we'll put the vacuum after the filter. Thanks, again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.