Do we need a pad under steps in AG?

My experience.. our first ladder didn't lie reach the pool floor, the way it was attached to the deck held it in place. When that ladder broke, we replaced with our current model for $79 and you get what you pay for :roll: Anyway, this one rests on the pool floor. I don't have a pad, but I did notice (thankfully before it got too bad) some algae trying to take hold under the ladder. I'm able to move it abit so I brush at that spot whenever I'm in the pool. My point is, whatever you decide to do, consider water circulation and ease of removal for weekly brushing so you don't get algae under there. :-D

My steps are 2ft wide and I made the mistake of having it cut 2ft wide. It wasn't wide enough to go under the feet on the stairs on both sides. I would suggest measuring the width of the stairs/ladder and giving yourself another 6"-12".

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I thought I remember seeing where someone had taken a pair of flip-flops and placed one under each post of their AG pool ladder as pads. It was cheap, effective, and fairly novel. As long as you can handle the "hey, yer ladder is growing feet" jokes.

We have wedding cake stairs in our AG pool and I don't have a pad under mine. I also move mine everytime I vacuum the pool because I don't want any build up underneath it. I have never had a problem moving my stairs and find them quite easy to move in the water. :)

Anything you can do to protect your liner from wear will extend the life of liner and give you some piece of mind. We have the shower stall liner (plumbers mat) - it is cut so that there is 6-8" on each side

So what keeps the liner from slipping out from under the steps when the pool is being played in and water is wildly splashing about? Last year, we used the steps that came with the pool, along with the cheap little pad. The pad wouldn't stay in place, so we finally just took it out. This year, we're about to put in our wedding cake steps and want to make sure we don't ruin our liner, since a replacement would not be easy...or cheap, given that our pool is buried. We'll go to HD and check out the matt mentioned. Also, what are the chances that algae will start under the overlap part of the pad, if you get it bigger than the pool steps? We hope to have enough weights in the steps to hold it in place, but it seems the overlap pad under the steps would be open for algae.

Or am I fretting too much over a little issue?? :hammer:

We have wedding cake steps. In their first season they dug indentations into the sand under the pool liner. In the second season we cut pads from an old yoga mat and put them under the front of the steps where most of the pressure is.

The result was algae growth on and under the mats. I got tired of taking them out and scrubbing them and we no longer use them.

I'm contemplating the same thing knkp. I have the larger wedding cake steps for my in ground pool. Could someone who's done it post a link to item they bought from Home Depot so I know I'm getting the right thing? Also, I bought my steps on Craigslist and the guy said he had to put bricks in them to keep them from moving around. Does anyone do that?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.