So here is where I am

Nuvene

Jul 5, 2013
Gilbert, Az
Last summer I couldnt get my pool right... I miscalculated getting the CYA up and ended up with a cya of 100 with an algae bloom... very short swimming season here (at least in my pool). At the start of getting the pool ready this year we mostly drained and refilled... getting the cya down to 0 still had algae in the pool. Last summer everytime I would add DE to the skimmer it would blow back into the pool... Ended up with probably 20lbs of DE in the bottom of my pool. This year I opened up my filter an half my grids were broken... ordered new ones and began slamming my pool using the pump mainly for circulating the water. When the new grids came in I replaced them and primed my filter. Then I started vacuuming up everything on the bottom... By this point the water was clear but the bottom was the problem. I had to backwash the filter several times in my 2 hour vacuuming session then opened up the filter and cleaned the grids. They were so caked with DE at this point (within 24 hours of replacing the grids). So not I had a clear pool with only rocks in the bottom (leaf rake broke so i cant scoop them out and the 2 times in 2 days that the kids have been in the pool they havent gotten the rocks out). FC is holding steady occasionally dropping .5 ppm below min.. I added CYA enough to go to 30 but only registering at between 20-25. I dont have the full tf100 kit yet... What I do have is the chlorine test from that kit (bought on its own) a 5way test, and a CYA test kit.

Current results
FC-6.5
PH-8.2 (gone up since ive been working on everything)
TA-140 (I know I need to drop this)
CYA-~20-30

unfortunately the day after I cleaned out my filter my pump motor died. so the only circulation anything is getting is brushing and kids playing in the pool. The landlord has a call in about the pump so I am just having to wait on it. I am only having to add about .5 gallon of liquid chlorine a day (my non pushy pool store sells 2 bottles of 10% for less than $7... with regular specials of $4.99 for the same thing... i stocked up) is the brush and kids eough to work on my PH/TA issue or should I just keep the chlorine stable till my pump is fixed?

Welcome! :wave:

It actually sounds like you understand the TFPC way pretty darn good!

Test TA so you can get an accurate acid dose out of poolmath, but don't even think about aggressively lowering it until the pump is running again.

You will always need to maintain pH and FC if you want anyone in the pool. Use the brush to get things dispersed. Add whatever and make a quick lap around the pool. The kids will do the rest of the mixing for you.

New pool pump installed... just in time my PH keeps going up... about to dump half a gallon of acid in and get the ph and ta lowered... PH is reading at 8.4 and TA is at 180... My chlorine is a little on the lower side right now should i worry about PH first or chlorine first? How long should I wait till I start aerating it after adding the acid?

Adjust the pH first, let it circulate 30 minutes. Then raise FC.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, your TA comes down when you add the acid. Aerating increases the pH without increasing TA.

It's also worth mentioning that your pH could be higher than 8.4. I would retest about an hour after your first acid addition to see if you need more.

Start aerating as soon as you lower the pH to 7.0-7.2

Also, I just noticed you have a plaster surface, you really need a CH test!

Well coming in from an almost complete drain and not adding anything except liquid bleach CH SHOULD be ok right now. As soon as i can affor the full tf100 test kit i will get that info... If the CH is already high just from my tap water then I dont think I can do much for it. I do have calcium staining from last year. the PH in this pool has always been very difficult to maintain. So I will eventually have to see what can be done about that.

Oh and only about 2 weeks into that drain/refill

I ordered the tf50 kit (since i already have a kit for testing PH including acid demand) but it hasnt come in yet. Its been 3 or 4 days since i ordered it... Right now my pool is at

FC- 1.5 (i forgot to add my chlorine last night so added this morning after I tested)
CC- 0
PH- 7.2
TA- 110
CYA- less than 20 but more than 0... will need to grab some more today

Need to get some more acid to finish lowering the TA

20140523_122026_zps1ufjvayy.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Now that I have most everything taken care of... What can I do about the calcium scaling. I know its scaling because the plastic rim around my pool light was covered with it and I was able to scrape it off. Last year the PH was ALWAYS high and the water here is hard. My tf kit hasnt come in yet so i cant test my CH yet... but it shouldnt be too bad right now... 3 weeks in from a drain and refill and nothing has been added that has any calcium in it...

the PH in this pool has always been very difficult to maintain. So I will eventually have to see what can be done about that.
The best way to control your calcium scale is control your pH. Bring it down and KEEP IT DOWN into the lower 7's with muriatic acid...regardless of how much it takes.

If necessary control your TA with baking soda (to bring it up)

Got my tf-50 kit today so here are current readings

FC- 4.5
CC- .5
PH- 7.8
TA- 110
CH- 780
CYA- 25

still working on leveling PH... then i need to do something about the CH... gonna have to test my tap water and see what it is... i know its pretty hard here

So pool looks great but my ph just some stay down I'm having go add half a gallon of acid every other day... my ta dropped from 180 to 50 now back up to 80 refilling from evaporation. What can i do go keep my ph in line... I had half as much acid as chlorine

How old is the plaster? You have to just keep on it with the MA, even if it's every other day or so.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.