Before and After pictures of the pool I operate

May 18, 2014
South Carolina
I recently took over as maintenance director over a community center and school. Picture 983 was how the pool looked when I started. They completely let the pool go over the winter. Picture 854 is how the pool looked once I started working on it.

Attachments

• IMG_0854.jpg
    IMG_0854.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 462
  • IMG_0983.jpg
    IMG_0983.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 475
My pool doesn't open to the public until May 25, 2014. I worked on this pool for 30 days. I tested the water and I had zeros in every category except ph my ph was 9.3 when I started.

I rented a 10 hp motor to pump the leaves and debris out of the bottom while I netted and scooped out about (10) 40 gallon trash bags of leaves. I then took a sample of my pool water and had it professionally tested. The results yielded two solutions adding in liquid chlorine or granular to shock the pool. I added approx 260 lbs of granular shock.

During this time problem #1 happened. Sand Filter #1 had cracks in the drain plug and was leaking uncontrollably. I then had that filter replaced. Then problem #2 happened. Pool pump #1 had failed specifically the bearings were bad. I removed pump #1 and attempted to have it rewound which the damage could not be repaired so pump # 1 was replaced.

I finally get everything operational and achieve break point chlorination. The water is blue but cloudy. I removed another 20 lbs or so of leaves from the deep in and retest the water. Result was to much chlorimines in the water. I shocked the pool this time with a non-chlorine shock and 10 hours later I added 10 lbs of granular. I let the system run for 24 hours then retested. Chlorine level at that time was around 1.0 and PH 7.4. I add another 10 pounds of granular and allowed system to run 24 hours. I continued that process until I achieved a chlorine level of 4.0 and PH of 7.4. I added a flocking agent (clarifier) also. The pool deck was pressure washed and the bushes around the fence trimmed.

Last edited:
Hi there, the pool looks great, but you need to do some reading of pool school, and you need a better test kit than the one you are using....http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

This site will teach you how to take control of the pool without having to rely on the pool shop.... You haven't mentioned your CYA level in reference to your chlorine level, pool school will teach you the relationship between the two, its pretty important.... You also need to know how much chlorine you are losing overnight... All these tests are included in the test kit you can buy above... :)

But awesome job in getting the pool back to almost totally clear, you had a lot of junk and lots of water to treat.... :)

Thanks for your imput lacygirl. As far as reading is concerned I have a degree in Engineering and 18 years experience working on pools I think I have that covered. I did not mention my CYA numbers because I don't have them in front of me I'm posting numbers from memory. I will check the test kit out as well. The pool is not my only area of focus as I am responsible for hvac, plumbing, electrical, flooring, housekeeping, a community center and a school which covers 2,000,000 square feet and 5 miles.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.