Noisey Pump After Adding CYA

Aug 7, 2013
Hi All,

Wife added CYA to pool by pouring granules into a bucket of water, mixing, and ten broadcasting directly into pool. I came out a few minutes after she did this and saw that the granules were sitting on the liner. I had son vacum the granules, while I did something else around the house. Came outside to check to see how he did and I found my Hayward 1HP pump running very loud. Any Ideas whats going on.I have shut the pump off.

Please have some good news for me.

thanks

A couple things could have happened.

One: you clogged the plumbing somewhere with the sand/gravel-like CYA granules. If so, your pump basket will be empty and what you're hearing is cavitation. The fix is to open the pump strainer and stuff a garden hose into the inlet and try blowing the clumped stuff back out the pipes.

Two: You've clogged the strainer basket with chunks of CYA and it's starving. Stretch a nylon over the strainer basket and tip it upside down to catch the stuff so you can add the stuff right the second try.

Three: There are bits of CYA caught in the impeller. I suspect they'll dissolve or get beaten into small enough pieces to pas into the filter given enough time.

That's all I can think of at the moment.

Do you see a bunch of air in the strainer basket at the pump? Is there good flow from the returns? Is the filter pressure normal, higher, or lower than usual?

Thanks for the replys.

It seems like option 3 in Richard's post may be what I have going on. Pressure appearsto be normal. I havent replaced my damaged gauge but have learned to read it. Since the winter it doesnt go to 0. Water flow is fine. No air bubbles in the pump. Pump is just nosier than what it was,before I had my son vacuum the CYA off the liner.

If I do have CYA in the impeller, is it ok to run the pump? How long should I expect for it to take until the CYA in the propeller has dissolved?

thanks again for the replys.

Thanks for the replys.

It seems like option 3 in Richard's post may be what I have going on. Pressure appearsto be normal. I havent replaced my damaged gauge but have learned to read it. Since the winter it doesnt go to 0. Water flow is fine. No air bubbles in the pump. Pump is just nosier than what it was,before I had my son vacuum the CYA off the liner.

If I do have CYA in the impeller, is it ok to run the pump? How long should I expect for it to take until the CYA in the propeller has dissolved?

thanks again for the replys.
I don't know the answer to that. Never done it. CYA usually takes several days to dissolve. I'd worry the whole time that somehow things would bunch up and somehow damage the seal.

One idea I can think of is to shut off the pump, open the strainer lid and remove the basket, then open the air bleed on the filter so the filter gravity drains backwards into the strainer. It might flush some chunks of CYA out of the impeller. Then you can gather the grit up and reassemble it and see what it sounds like then.

Unless there is enough CYA stuck somewhere to block water flow the pump will be fine. Check the return jets, and if they are strong you will be fine. If the returns are weak, you should turn off the pump and clean out as much as you can from the pump strainer basket area.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.