Still with the sand coming through return lines--concerned and confused

Hi. I have an 18 ft ag pool w/a waterways 19 inch sand filter and hayward pump. I posted a while back about problems with sand in the return line, thinking maybe I'd put in too much filter sand when I replaced it earlier this year. My kids are starting to look at me funny b/c I'm spending so much time at the filter trying to pinpoint where the problem is--I can hear a definite gurgling but there's no water coming from any connection on the filter or the pump. I replaced the 7 function multiport valve over the winter and it seemed like a really simple gig, but I *swear* that's where the gurgling is coming from! I can understand how a faulty seal in this piece would let sand into the return lines (sort of) but I'm clueless as to what I need to do to fix it and our budget really, really can't take on me screwing something else up so I'm really hesitant to start unscrewing stuff and messing around. How do I even begin to take the filter apart now that the pool is open and the water level is where it should be? Do I need to drain below the return line again? It also appears that the pressure gauge doesn't work--not sure if that fits into the situation or not. If anybody can walk me through what I need to do to troubleshoot or fix the problem, I'd be really grateful. With the boys out for summer, this pool goes a long way toward keeping Mommy sane. Thanks so much. --Leslie

"Gurgling" implies to me that air is getting into the system. Is the pump strainer basket full (completely) of water or is it sloshing around?

Replace your pressure gauge. It may or may not be related to your "gurgling" issue but a pool needs a good gauge so you can manage your water properly.

Thanks. I plan to replace the gauge, just waiting for pay day. :) The pump strainer basket appears full, I can see marginal bits of debris circling around (the new pump has a white strainer basket, so I can see this more clearly than the last pump) but I'm not seeing bubbles or anything like that.

Well, since the pump basket is full of water with no air coming in, I am stumped to figure out what is causing the gurgling sound.

Maybe someone else has an idea.

That gauge will cost less than $10.00

Was the replacement valve an exact replacement? Does the o-ring on the valve where the stand pipe goes in look ok? Does the spider gasket look ok? If you don't find a problem you need to remove the sand, being careful not to damage the laterals. Once the sand is removed you need to inspect the stand pipe and laterals for damage.

Was the replacement valve an exact replacement? Does the o-ring on the valve where the stand pipe goes in look ok? Does the spider gasket look ok? If you don't find a problem you need to remove the sand, being careful not to damage the laterals. Once the sand is removed you need to inspect the stand pipe and laterals for damage.

Yes, the replacement was an exact replacement. I had to go to the Waterways site to find it. I checked over the laterals and cleaned them really carefully when I replaced the sand about a month ago and they were fine. What am looking for re: the standpipe? It was not damaged (that I could see) when I had the filter apart. Can someone help me find a blown apart diagram of the filter? The instructions and manual don't include this (in fact, they show a similar but not exact sand filter in the assembly directions) and I'm pretty useless w/o something visual. Thanks.

Did you add water to the filter basin (to cover the laterals...or whatever those tubes are called) before adding the sand? My new filter has a warning about doing this to avoid damage to the laterals by the falling sand.

Do you have a model number on that filter? Post it, and I'll help you search. You might email Waterways to see if they have a diagram.

does this look correct?
http://www.spapartsshop.com/WaterwayClearwaterSandFilter.aspx

The standpipe is the vertical pipe between the valve and laterals. There should be an o-ring in the hole on the valve where that pipe fits into the valve to keep sand and junk out of the laterals. If it is in place and your spider gasket is good, then the only other possibility is something below that connection which typically means a broken lateral at the bottom of all the sand which are very delicate. To check laterals, you'll have to remove all the sand. I prefer using a wet/dry shop vac and empty the vac into 5 gallon buckets when it gets full. You can reuse the sand.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes, I did add the water to protect the laterals--I know this because the friend who was helping me was delayed so I had time to double check the instructions for inspecting the laterals and adding the sand etc. Since I'd had to replace the pump this year, *everything* else got done with extra care b/c I didn't want to risk busting something else. I guess that's why I'm frustrated--I had the manuals and the laptop out there while I was going checking the filter assembly to make sure I didn't miss anything. I will look for the model number on the filter--the link is really similar, but (from memory) I think I noted some differences. Thanks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.