Off the charts high pH

G$

Jul 7, 2008
My ph according to drop test, was way high, over 8.2 of course. (So is my TA, that is another, but similar, topic).

I have been adding Muriatic Acid, about a half gallon at a time, for a couple days, and it SEEMS to be working, but I am still at or over 8.2. My best guess is I am close, but I am not sure.

If I let this pH get too far out of whack, as I have, is it feasible that it will in fact take several gallons of acid over a few days to get it back in line? I just want to make sure what I am doing is not beyond the realm of possibility.

(I have a small ~8500 gallon IG PebbleTec pool that is 2 years old)

I saw a thread on here earlier this week that it took someone several gallons, like 4 to bring it into range.

Do you have a source of aeration (bubbles) like a spa, waterfall, SWCG that is leading to the PH to be so high?

here's that thread
new-pool-startup-next-week-questions-t7588.html?hilit=muratic%20acid%20gallons

(I know you said your pool is 2 years old but maybe this will give some ideas or thoughts that will help....)

and KTDave's quote from the thread....
ktdave said:
JohnT is right on the money!

You can anticipate fighting pH creeping upwards for at least the first month due to the plaster curing. I went through about 5 gallons of muratic acid during that time, then it leveled off somewhat. So you are right to keep a close eye on that.

I added CYA immediately and salt after 30 days. My plaster finish IS different from yours (PebbleTec) so do like John says and do whatever your 3M finish warranty suggests (ask builder).

Good Luck down the Home Stretch!

Do you have an acid demand test? That would give you an estimate of the total amt of acid you will need to lower the pH to an acceptable level.

I don't think it's included in the TF-100, but it is in the Taylor K-2006. The acid demand reagent can be purchased separately, if you already have the TF-100. Or just keep doing what you're doing, and you'll get there eventually.

giulietta1 said:
Do you have an acid demand test? That would give you an estimate of the total amt of acid you will need to lower the pH to an acceptable level.

I don't think it's included in the TF-100, but it is in the Taylor K-2006. The acid demand reagent can be purchased separately, if you already have the TF-100. Or just keep doing what you're doing, and you'll get there eventually.

I have an acid demand test, but to be frank, at the outlying levels that the pH started at, I question it's validity. Now that I appear to be approaching a 'true' 8.2, I feel I can rely on acid demand testing. I do think I am close!

frustratedpoolmom said:
I saw a thread on here earlier this week that it took someone several gallons, like 4 to bring it into range.

Do you have a source of aeration (bubbles) like a spa, waterfall, SWCG that is leading to the PH to be so high?

A couple thoughts/answers:

I have an 'ozonator' :roll: which may 'help raise' the pH, but no aerator or water feature per se. I also typically use unstabilized bleach, and had not been watching pH this season. I am thinking this may have contributed to the issue.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.