Adding salt to a pool.

88rxn/a

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 7, 2011
ludlow, PA
Hello,
Last year I added salt to a non Swg pool for a better feel. The thing is, I can't find where I found the info on how much to add safely without test strips for swg. I do not know much about swg systems but I assume it needs to be added regular so last years salt is long gone.
BTW, I use the bbb method.

Much of last years salt should still be around. If you didn't winterize then nearly all of it will still be there. While, if you did winterize you will have lost some due to water replacement. The only way to know how much to add is to get a salt test result.

Salt doesnt eveporate along with water. Draining water from the pool is the only way to lower the salt level.
DIfferent makes and models of SWG's require different level of salt, but usually somewhere between 3000 and 4000 ppm is about average.

To use salt just for a better feel, you probably dont need so much as a SWG does, but how something "feels" is subjective, so maybe you do. :)
Measure your salt level then use Pool Math to determine how much you need to add in order to get to whatever level it is you
want to be at.

This is one of the very rare occasions I'd say, "Take it to the pool store and have them test it." You don't need to buy a salt test kit to test once a year. Don't tell them you don't have a SWG, just let them test it all and give you the report. Maybe buy some toys. Don't let them sell you any chemicals. Come home, plug that salt number into poolmath, and let it crunch it and tell you how much to add. For feel, you don't need to be exact.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.