Best Way to Add Muriatic Acid?

May 26, 2008
I'm a little afraid to handle this even though I have added some once to my pool. I mixed it in with water in a leftover pool chemical bucket . Then I put it in the pool in front of a deep end return. Was this correct? And what's the best way to measure it out of the gallon? I measured in a left-over thin plastic jug and it seemed pretty strong for that.

P.S. I'm a BBB convert this year from a FROG chlorinator. Every year before, I've unsuccessfully fought algae all summer. This year, I've only had to use bleach and muratic acid one time and my pool has never been clearer. Thanks to TFP....

I have found that pouring muriatic acid into a plastic bucket can soften the bucket. I keep a glass mason jar that is marked in ounces in our pool house. I pour the muriatic acid into the glass jar and pour the acid in the deep end near the return. I do not premix.

Remember, if you choose to premix add acid to water-not water to acid. Keep the acid away from your face so that you do not breath the fumes. If you splash the acid it can eat a hole in your clothes.

There's a thread on this somewhere.

To me, premixing is just one more handling of something that you don't want to handle anyway.

I always wear some kind of glasses... usually just sunglasses... but wear someting over your eyes. Don't know about yours, but mine are too valuable to risk a splash.

I use a pencil to poke several holes through the cardboard/plastic seal on the gallon jug and pour directly into the pool... holding it closer to the water seems to eliminate most of the splashing.

Unless your pool is 500 gallons, I can't imagine that you really need to "measure" it to the ounce. If you're using a swg, and it's hot... its gonna change again tomorrow anyway.

If you feel some splash on you.... rinse it off with water.

caution: I'm not liable for any of this so-called advice.

steve (glancing over my shoulder to see who's following me)

I use an old cafeteria tray with a glass measuring cup. I pour the acid into the cup when it is sitting on top of the tray. Any problems I could just push the tray and cup into the pool. Removes the chances of drips happening on the concrete decking also. Then just pour the cup of acid into the pool infront of the return jet.

Someone on poolforum I think it was posted about using the cafeteria tray so I have been using it ever since. Works great.

Reactions: noob75
I bought a set of cheap plastic measuring cups at WalMart. The 4-cup (quart) size I use for bleach, the 2-cup size is for acid, and the 1-cup is for Pool Perfect.

I have a poolside bucket that I use for diluting chemicals before adding to the pool. First I dip out some pool water with the bucket, then I measure out the needed quantity of acid in the measuring cup, next add the acid to the water bucket. I rinse out the acid measuring cup in the pool, and dip out a couple of cupfuls of pool water which I add to the bucket to mix the acid with the water. Finally I pour the diluted acid into the pool over the returns.

You could certainly skip the dilution process and add the acid directly to the pool from the measuring cup. Just make sure to pour SLOWLY.

I use eye protection during the acid addition process but don't bother with gloves or respirator.

Glass containers near a pool aren't a great idea, thus my use of the plastic measuring cups. The acid doesn't stay in the cup for long, so it doesn't degrade the plastic. At least I haven't noticed any unusual wear on my acid-measuring cup, and I've been using it for over a year. I DO make sure to rinse it out very thoroughly after each use.

I use a 16oz plastic drinking cup and while squatting by the edge of the pool, I fill up the cup over the pool and then slowly dump it over a return. Any that spills goes in the pool. Rinse the cup in the pool and store them together.

Reactions: noob75
I have a wide mouth water bottle graduated in ounces. It has a lid. I wear a respirator, and pour the acid to the appropriate line, then cap the jug and place the lid on the bottle. Then, I turn on the shear waterfalls, and walk to the pool. Once over the shear at the deep end, I open the bottle and pour about 3/4 of the acid right on the spot where the water from the shear hits the surface of the pool water. This has the effect of stopping any splashing while quickly incorporating the acid into the pool. I repeat the process with the remainder of the acid in two other areas on the shallow end, then use the shear to rinse the bottle thoroughly.

Once the acid is applied, I can remove the mask, turn off the shears and allow the pump to complete the job. I store the jug and the bottle together, but not the mask.

Rod

Caustik said:
I use an old cafeteria tray with a glass measuring cup. I pour the acid into the cup when it is sitting on top of the tray. Any problems I could just push the tray and cup into the pool. Removes the chances of drips happening on the concrete decking also. Then just pour the cup of acid into the pool infront of the return jet.

Someone on poolforum I think it was posted about using the cafeteria tray so I have been using it ever since. Works great.
That was me! :wink:

Thanks, all, some really helpful suggestions. I really appreciate the quick responses and the detail as well as the safety advice. I'll see which of those sturdier things I have on hand and keep everything by the pool.

DIYTRYING - Is what you refer to as a "Vinyl Free Form" what's also called a soft side? Above ground, metal frame but not metal sides, kevlar type liner, some brands tuff pools, splash super pools, legacy pools, KD, etc? :?: Or is it something else? :?:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
rimshaker said:
Don't premix. IMO it just adds another unnecessary step to an already dangerous handling situation.

And always pour acid into the deep end, preferably in front of a return line.

I premix in part because of the warnings w/ my SWG about adding chemicals, and due to the fact the return in the deep end is not easy to get to. I have to climb up a wall and would then be pouring from several feet up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.